Barney Brunton and two other men sit in a barracks at CCC camp 2772. One of the men holds a book called "Sexology" and another man treats his foot. Medical supplies are visible on a small table next to them. Another man looks on from the background. The stove and stove pipe used to heat the barracks is also visible.
In 1934, men from CCC companies 2771 and 2772 established camps adjacent to each other on the north bank of the Little Missouri River, not far from the old U.S. 85 bridge in the area that is now part of the North Unit of Theodore Roosevelt Park. Company 2771 moved out after a year, but 2772 remained here until the fall of 1939 when it transferred to a site in the South Unit. Maurice Martin, the photographer was enrolled in the CCC from 1934-1938 and served in companies 2771 and 2772 stationed south of Watford City. He grew up in Rawson, N.D. He was a ham radio operator, and attended the Dodge School of Telegraphy. He later worked at Casbon Electric and Indiana General in Valparaiso, Indiana. Maurice Martin died in 1997 and was buried in Rawson, N.D.