Governor William Guy stands with George Engelter and Emmett Morgan in the hall of the capitol building, with portraits of three Theodore Roosevelt Rough Rider Award recipients: Dr. Anne Carlsen, General Harold K. Johnson, and Roger Maris.
William L. Guy was born in Devils Lake, N.D. in 1919. He attended public school in Amenia, N.D., and went on to receive a Bachelor of Science degree in Agricultural Economics from North Dakota Agricultural College, and then a Masters of Science Degree in Agricultural Economics and Business Economics from the University of Minnesota. After serving in the Navy during World War II, Guy worked in a variety of occupations until 1960, most in the agricultural field. A member of the Nonpartisan League since 1954, occupying a number of committee positions, he received the Democratic-Nonpartisan League nomination for Governor in 1960, and served as North Dakota's 26th governor for 12 years. As the state's chief executive, he was involved in many prominent projects in North Dakota's history, including the Garrison Diversion Project, the creation of the Tourism Promotion Division and the Theodore Roosevelt Roughrider Hall of Fame, and the North Dakota Heritage Commission, which paved the way for the construction of the North Dakota Heritage Center. Guy was also the chairman of the National Governor's Conference in 1968. After leaving office, he served as the executive director of the North Dakota Community Foundation, worked as a consultant for Basin Electric Power Cooperative, and was appointed by Governor Arthur A. Link as chairman of the Public Employees Retirement Commission. Guy was later appointed to a six year term on the State Water Commission by Governor George Sinner. Harold K. Johnson was born in Bowesmont, N.D. and graduated from West Point in 1933. He and the 57th Infantry were ordered to Bataan after Pearl Harbor. Johnson and the 57th were then forced on the Bataan Death March. He saw service again in Korea, and was tasked to join NATO in West Germany in 1959. In 1965, he was appointed Chief of Staff of the United States Army. He received the Theodore Roosevelt Rough Rider Award in 1965. Roger Maris was raised in Fargo and played professional baseball with the Cleveland Indians, and Kansas City before being traded to the New York Yankees in 1960. He hit 61 home runs in the 1961 season, a record that stood until 1998. Anne Carlsen was born in Grantsburg, Wisconsin without forearms or lower legs. Nevertheless, she had an active childhood, and went to college at the University of Minnesota, intending to become a teacher. In 1938, she moved to Fargo for a job at the Good Samaritan School for Crippled Children. Carlsen moved with the school when it relocated to Jamestown. She was named the school's administrator in 1950, and the school was renamed the Anne Carlsen Center in her honor in 1980. She received the Theodore Roosevelt Roughrider Award in 1966. All three portraits were painted by Emmett Morgan.