The U.S.S. North Dakota (Battleship No. 29) was built by the Fore River Shipbuilding Co., Quincy, Massachusetts, in 1907. She was christened by Mary L. Benton of Fargo, N.D., on Nov. 10, 1908, was commissioned April 11, 1910, and first sailed in that year with the Atlantic Fleet. A dreadnought, the North Dakota had displacement of 20,000 tons, was 518 feet, 9 inches in overall length, with a beam (width) of 85 feet, 3 inches and a mean draught of 26 feet, 11 inches. The North Dakota's armaments consisted of ten twelve-inch guns mounted in five turrets on the longitudinal centerline of the ship, allowing them to fire broadsides in either direction. The ship also had fourteen five-inch guns, four three-pounders, four one-pounder semi-automatics, two three-inch field guns, two .30 cal. machine guns, and two twenty-one-inch torpedo tubes. The North Dakota was decommissioned in 1923 and sold for scrap on March 16, 1931.