Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Old Main, North Dakota Agricultural College
Old Main, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleOld Main, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Original1924-10-02
DescriptionFront view of Old Main, with the Bjornson Obelisk in the foreground. A flag is flying above the tower room and an automobile is visible to the right of the building partially hidden by a tree.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Buildings
Obelisks
Monuments
Flags
Trees
Automobiles
Organization NameOld Main (Fargo, N.D.)
Bjornson Memorial Obelisk (Fargo, N.D.)
North Dakota State University - Buildings
North Dakota State University - Grounds
North Dakota State University - Monuments
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1920-1929
Negative NumberGPN5836
Format of OriginalGlass negatives
Dimensions of Original13 x 18 cm.
Publisher of OriginalNorth Dakota Agricultural College (Fargo, N.D.)
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"Main Bldg. (Slow Iso plate)
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Title supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryThe first permanent building on the North Dakota Agricultural College (NDAC) campus was College Hall, also called the Administration Building, but more commonly known as Old Main. In February 1891, the North Dakota State Legislature appropriated $25, 000 to erect the structure. The cornerstone was laid in 1891 and tradition has it that at the dedication no flag was available, so a student made a makeshift pennant with a pair of overalls (Bison 1950, pp.15-16). Construction of the lower levels were completed by the end of 1891 and on January 3, 1892, the institution opened its regular work in its permanent home, and enrolled 123 students for the term (First Biennial Report of the Board of Directors, 1891-1892, p. 6). An additional $3, 000 was appropriated in the next legislative session to complete the building and by the summer of 1893, it was considered completed.
Architectural Information: "Richardson Romanesque; 2 1/2 stories with raised basement; buff brick with base and trim of Duluth brownstone; clock tower/turret at the southeast corner; recessed triple-arched main entrance arcade facing south. Hancock Brothers, architects." (National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form, Summer 1982, p.3)
"On Tuesday morning, May 17 [1904], the Bjornson 'bauta sten' which had been placed on the A.C. grounds, in honor of Bjornstjerne Bjornson, the great Norwegian writer and statesman, was formally unveiled. The college and city was in holiday attire for the occasion. The buildings were all tastily decorated with bunting and the flags of Norway and the United States. A large crowd, variously estimated from three to five thousand, was on the grounds at 10 o'clock waiting for the program to begin." (The Spectrum, May 15, 1904, p. 113.)
External ResourceSee also NDSU Archives Building History web site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndsu-university-archives/collections/72157624385769264/
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionNDSU University Archives Glass Negative Collection
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (GPN 5836)
Rights ManagementCopyright held by the University Archives.
Languageeng
Digital IDua000296
Original Sourceglass negative
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^