Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Architectural Office, South Engineering, North Dakota Agricultural College
Architectural Office, South Engineering, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleArchitectural Office, South Engineering, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Original1924-06-05
DescriptionAn interior view of the Architecture Office, with four individuals, probably students, sitting around a central table. A specimen case is in the foreground on the right side and there is a glass enclosed bookcase of the left side. A desk is also visible on the left side toward the windows. There is also a calendar on the wall to the right of the desk.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Students
Offices
Bookcases
Desks
Light fixtures
Chairs
Windows
Draperies
Calendars
Interiors
Subject (LCSH)Women college students
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University - Buildings
South Engineering (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1920-1929
Negative NumberGPN5396
Format of OriginalGlass negatives
Dimensions of Original13 x 18 cm.
Publisher of OriginalNorth Dakota Agricultural College (Fargo, N.D.)
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"Flash--Architectural Office"
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Title supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryEarly in 1907, $65, 000 was appropriated for the construction of an engineering building. When completed, the structure was a three-story building measuring 80 feet by 90 feet. It contained lecture rooms, laboratories and classrooms for work in subjects ranging from Mechanical Engineering to Freehand Drawing to blue printing to photography. Space was even allocated for the Lyceum of Engineers (NDAC Catalog, 1910-1911, p. 18). The formal opening of the building was held on Saturday, January 25, 1908. The Ninth Biennial Report of the Board of Trustees describes the building as being "devoted almost exclusively to the courses of mechanical engineering, civil engineering, steam engineering and physics. There are five general classrooms and two lecture rooms with elevated seats, each of which will accommodate a hundred students.
Architectural Information "Classical Revival, three stories; light brown pressed brick with trim of rough brown sandstone; Palladian window treatment with projecting central entrance pavilion; gable hipped roof with pedimented gables and dormers; rusticated raised basement; dentilled and bracketted cornices; brownstone Tuscan columns flaking [sic] front south facing entry; rusticated corner pilasters with sandstone capitals. Milton Earl Beebe, architect." (National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form, Summer 1982, p. 3)
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionNDSU University Archives Glass Negative Collection
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (GPN 5396)
Rights ManagementCopyright held by the University Archives.
Languageeng
Digital IDua000297
Original Sourceglass negative
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^