Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Morrill Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
Morrill Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleMorrill Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Original1926-09-22
DescriptionExterior view of the newly complete Agricultural Building (Morrill Hall), looking toward the west. To the left of the entrance is a bicycle rack.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Buildings
Balconies
Trees
Sidewalks
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University
Morrill Hall (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1920-1929
Negative NumberGPN7618a
Format of OriginalGlass negatives
Dimensions of Original18 x 13 cm.
Publisher of OriginalNorth Dakota Agricultural College (Fargo, N.D.)
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"Entrance Agri. Bldg."
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Title supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryThe construction of Morrill Hall (then known as the Agricultural Building) began in the Spring of 1922 with T. F. Powers and Co. in charge of the excavation for the building. The plans called for a three-story building (with a basement) measuring 55 feet by 145 feet. The plans also envisioned a north and south wing (exact duplicates of each other) added at a later date. Morrill Hall opened in January 1923 and housed the laboratories, classrooms and offices of the School of Agriculture making it the only campus building solely devoted to agriculture. The devotion to agriculture became stronger after the addition of the north wing. In 1929, the State Legislature appropriated $95, 000 for the wing's construction. The north wing (dimensions of 48 feet by 123 feet) was completed in 1930 and the Experiment Station and Extension Division (now called the Extension Service) moved in the following year.
Architectural Information "Three stories above raised basement, symmetrical facade; Flemish bond red brick, stone trim at water table, sills, and balcony over front east-entry; arched grouped third story windows; overhang tile roof. Keith and Kurke, architects. During 1929-30, a large north wing oriented east-west to the rear of Morrill Hall was constructed from plans by William F. Kurke." (National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form, Summer 1982, pp. 4-5)
External ResourceSee also NDSU Archives Building History web site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndsu-university-archives/collections/72157624385769264/
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionNDSU University Archives Glass Negative Collection
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (GPN 7618a)
Rights ManagementCopyright held by the University Archives.
Languageeng
Digital IDua000299
Original Sourceglass negative
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^