Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Ceres Hall and reflection in standing water, North Dakota Agricultural College
Ceres Hall and reflection in standing water, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleCeres Hall and reflection in standing water, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Original1922-03-14
DescriptionExterior view of Ceres Hall, women's dormitory and college cafeteria. Cafeteria is located on the first floor of the east side of the builiding. Building is reflected in water in front of the building.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Dormitories
Reflections
Sidewalks
Lampposts
Cafeterias
Floods
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University - Buildings
Ceres Hall (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1920-1929
Item NumberBCe73-E1.11
Negative NumberGPN3117
Format of OriginalGlass negatives
Dimensions of Original18 x 13 c.m.
Publisher of OriginalNorth Dakota Agricultural College (Fargo, N.D.)
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"Ceres Hall and Reflection in Flood H2O"
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Title supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryCeres Hall was the first women's dormitory on the North Dakota Agricultural College campus. Ceres was not the first name choice for the building. In April of 1950, Mrs. Jessamine Slaughter Burgum wrote "When the question came up to build Ceres Hall, it was suggested to name it after the first girl student, who had enrolled from Bismarck. It was agreed, and one trustee asked, 'What was her name?' 'Why, Jessie Slaughter, from Bismarck.' 'Oh, then the students will be calling it 'the Slaughter House' instead of Slaughter Hall, ' so they decided to call it Ceres Hall after the Goddess of Wheat." (Hunter, Beacon Across the Prairie, p. 35).
"Classical Revival, three stories and full story attic. Yellow brick with sandstone trim, jack-arch lintels and keystones over second story windows; sandstone sills and belt courses; symmetrical facade with two off-center projecting four story tower/entrances. Romanic Ionic capitals atop engaged pilasters on south and west facades. Hancock Brothers, architects." (National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form, Summer 1982, p. 4)
External ResourceSee also NDSU Archives Building History web site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndsu-university-archives/collections/72157624385769264/
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionNDSU University Archives Glass Negative Collection
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (GPN 3117)
Rights ManagementCopyright held by the University Archives.
Languageeng
Digital IDua000167
Original Sourceglass negative
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^