Morrill Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
|Title||Morrill Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College |
|Date of Original||1930-03-31 |
|Description||Front view of Morrill Hall, looking slightly to the southwest. To the left a portion of the Power House is visible. |
|Ordering Information||Consult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services |
|General Subject||Colleges & Universities|
|Organization Name||North Dakota State University - Buildings|
North Dakota State University - Grounds
Morrill Hall (Fargo, N.D.)
Power House (Fargo, N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
|Negative Number||B253c |
|Format of Original||Glass negatives|
|Dimensions of Original||13 x 18 cm. |
|Publisher of Original||North Dakota Agricultural College (Fargo, N.D.)|
|Place of Publication||Fargo (N.D.)|
|Transcription||"Agri. Bldg." |
Title supplied by staff.
|Biography/History||The construction of Morrill Hall (then known as the Agricultural Building) began in the Spring of 1922. The plans called for a three-story building (with a basement) measuring 55 feet by 145 feet. The plans also envisioned a north and south wing (exact duplicates of each other) added at a later date. The buildings' designers further proposed the construction of a 500 seat auditorium on the south addition or as a new addition on the west.|
The Agricultural Building opened in January 1923 and housed the laboratories, classrooms and offices of the School of Agriculture making it the only campus building solely devoted to agriculture. The devotion to agriculture became stronger after the addition of the north wing. In 1929, the State Legislature appropriated $95, 000 for the wing's construction. The north wing (dimensions of 48 feet by 123 feet) was completed in 1930 and the Experiment Station and Extension Division (now called the Extension Service) moved in the following year.
Morrill Hall has undergone a major renovation project to meet the developing needs of the students and the School of Agriculture. The project began in 1975 with the sandblasting of the building's exterior. This was followed by the renovation of the basement, which was virtually unusable from the eight floods it suffered since 1946. The project ended in 1982 with the installation of an elevator, the installation of a new stairwell in the west wing, the creation of new offices and the relocation of all classrooms to the main floor. The total cost of the seven-year project was $600, 000.
In 1987, Morrill Hall was rededicated. Today, it houses the College of Agriculture, Food Systems and Natural Resources, as well as the Agricultural Experiment Station and the Cooperative Extension Service.
Architectural Information: "Three stories above raised basement, symmetrical facade; Flemish bond red brick, stone trim at water table, sills, and balcony over front east-entry; arched grouped third story windows; overhang tile roof. Keith and Kurke, architects. During 1929-30, a large north wing oriented east-west to the rear of Morrill Hall was constructed from plans by William F. Kurke." (National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form, Summer 1982, pp. 4-5)
|External Resource||See also NDSU Archives Building History web site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndsu-university-archives/collections/72157624385769264/ |
|Repository Institution||North Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives|
|Repository Collection||NDSU University Archives Glass Negative Collection|
|Credit Line||University Archives, NDSU, Fargo (GPN B253c) |
|Rights Management||Copyright held by the University Archives. |
|Digital ID||ua000526 |