Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Engine Room, Dakota Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
Engine Room, Dakota Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleEngine Room, Dakota Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Original1930-03-29
DescriptionA number of different types of engines in a hallway in Dakota Hall.
Ordering InformationConsult:
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Engines
Doors & doorways
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University - Buildings
Dakota Hall (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Negative NumberB252a
Format of OriginalGlass negatives
Dimensions of Original13 x 18 cm.
Publisher of OriginalNorth Dakota Agricultural College (Fargo, N.D.)
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"Interior, Eng. Room, Old barracks"
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Title supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryDakota Hall had its beginnings at the request of the Federal Government and with the consent of the North Dakota State Council of Defense the Board of Regents approved the erection of an emergency building for the use of soldiers in training under government direction. It was constructed in 9 weeks in 1918. It was a frame building covering approximately one-half acres of ground, and with a total floor area of 31, 538 square feet. It consisted of sleeping quarters, mess hall, kitchen, offices and toilet. The sleeping quarters were two stories in height; the other portions were one story. It was provided with steam heat, electric lights, showers, etc. and would accommodate 400 men. The construction work was done largely by the soldiers training in the carpentry group.
After the First World War, the building served as a men's dormitory. As of the late 1930s, the building now named Dakota Hall, served as a dormitory and headquarters facilities for the Farm Folk School. It was now configured with 26 rooms with hardwood floors, steam heat and electric lights that each accommodate 2 students in each room, a large assembly hall, a large classroom, drafting room. On the main floor there was a carpenter shop and a gas engine lab. In the wing a stock judging pavilion and an abattoir for demo and practice in the handling and curing of meats.
During November 1942, the hall reverted to its former military use a when the army took it over. It was remodeled and occupied by 300 officer candidates for two-week periods. During the 1946-47 school year a record 2, 300 students enrolled and it was necessary to house women home economic students in the structure.
Among the highlights of the Alumni Association's activities at the 1957 Homecoming was the dedication of Finnegan Residence Hall. This housing unit is a remodeled portion of Dakota Hall yhat was used to house NDSC athletes. It was dedicated to Charles Casey Finnegan who was Director of Athletics and Physical Education at NDSC from 1928 until 1955. In 1963, Dakota Hall was demolished to make way for a multi-million dollar addition (Dunbar Laboratories) to the chemistry building, Ladd Hall.
External ResourceSee also NDSU Archives Building History web site:
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionNDSU University Archives Glass Negative Collection
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (GPN B252a)
Rights ManagementCopyright held by the University Archives.
Digital IDua000523
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^