Second Floor Research Kitchen, Ceres Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
|Title||Second Floor Research Kitchen, Ceres Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College |
|Date of Original||1930-04-28 |
|Description||Visible in this view of the Research Kitchen is a cook stove, storage units, and a sink with a garbage pail underneath. There is also a cutting/preparation table with storage below. |
|Ordering Information||Consult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services |
|General Subject||Colleges & Universities|
|Organization Name||North Dakota State University - Buildings|
Ceres Hall (Fargo, N.D.)
North Dakota State University - Classrooms
Cass County (N.D.)
|Negative Number||B345 |
|Format of Original||Glass negatives|
|Dimensions of Original||13 x 18 cm. |
|Publisher of Original||North Dakota Agricultural College (Fargo, N.D.)|
|Place of Publication||Fargo (N.D.)|
|Transcription||"2nd floor kitchen, Ceres Hall" |
Title supplied by staff.
|Biography/History||In 1909 the State Legislature approved the construction of a women's building on campus, allocating over $85, 000 between 1908-10 for the construction of Ceres Hall. (Tenth Biennial Report, November 1, 1910, pp. 361, 364).|
There were a few changes to the original plan of the building. The principal one of which was the enlargement of the northwest wing, the lower floor of which was the kitchen so that it would be three stories high instead of two as originally planned, thus making all the buildings three stories high. In addition to the above change, the east wing of the building was enlarged as to admit a gymnasium above the third story. The large dining room occupied the greater part of the lower floor of the east wing, the lower floor of the west wing was given over to domestic science, and the rest of the floor occupied by kitchens, laundry, hallway, reception room, and cloak rooms.
The second floor of the west wing was devoted to the sewing department and furnished with fitting rooms and lockers. The southeast corner of the second floor of the building contained one large parlor and one smaller one, the two being connected with an arched opening. The entire third floor and a part of the second floor was occupied by the dormitory. The plans, as enlarged, provided for the accommodation of 115 young ladies with comfort and provided for "the very best of facilities for the carrying on the work in domestic science and art" (The Weekly Spectrum, April 13, 1909, p. 8).
Plans were finalized in the early 1970s for converting Ceres Hall into all offices. At this point the residents were all male and plans called for moving them to other residence halls. The students protested and the issue eventually went to the State Board of Higher Education. Although part of the building was retained as a men's residence through the 1971-72 academic year, after that time it was converted into offices (The Spectrum, Nov., 2, 1971, p. 1; December 7, 1971, p. 1; February 1, 1972, p. 6).
This was not the end of Ceres life as a residence hall. A small article on page 12 of the September 17, 1976 issue of The Spectrum, noted: "Ceres converted to over flowing housing. - There were almost 110 women in overflow housing last week. The third floor of Ceres Hall was converted back from offices to dorm rooms for 33 of them." Ceres Hall was listed as a residence hall in the 1988-90 NDSU Bulletin.
Architectural Information: "Classical Revival, three stories and full story attic. Yellow brick with sandstone trim, jack-arch lintels and keystones over second story windows; sandstone sills and belt courses; symmetrical facade with two off-center projecting four story tower/entrances. Romanic Ionic capitals atop engaged pilasters on south and west facades. Hancock Brothers, architects." (National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form, Summer 1982, p. 4)
|External Resource||See also NDSU Archives Building History web site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndsu-university-archives/collections/72157624385769264/ |
|Repository Institution||North Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives|
|Repository Collection||NDSU University Archives Glass Negative Collection|
|Credit Line||University Archives, NDSU, Fargo (GPN B345) |
|Rights Management||Copyright held by the University Archives. |
|Digital ID||ua000533 |