Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Minard Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
Minard Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleMinard Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Original1930-03-31
DescriptionNorth side and front view of Minard Hall, looking to the south. A portion of the Power House is visible to the left.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Buildings
Trees
Sidewalks
Power plants
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University - Buildings
Minard Hall (Fargo, N.D.)
Power House (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1930-1939
Negative NumberB254b
Format of OriginalGlass negatives
Dimensions of Original13 x 18 cm.
Publisher of OriginalNorth Dakota Agricultural College (Fargo, N.D.)
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"Science Hall"
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Title supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryMinard Hall, originally named Science Hall, was to be built in three stages as building funds became available. It was noted in the 1902-03 NDAC Catalog that this first section cost about $25, 000. "This new building is 68x80 feet in size of ground plan, three stories high and furnishes commodious quarters for the departments of biology, geology, horticulture and mathematics. The entire building is finished with quarter-sawed oak, is well lighted and ventilated and is one of the most artistic buildings on campus. Science Hall, when completed, will be 80 feet deep and 224 feet long and its central structure four stories high" (NDAC Catalog, 1902-03, p. 13).
The second stage added a fourth floor, for which a museum was planned. It also added an arched central entry flanked by two large engaged pilasters. A gabled roof capped this central entry, with dormers at each side of it. In the Fourteenth Biennial Report of the Board of Regents, NDAC, 1918, it was reported: "There is at present time being erected the central part of Science Hall, one wing having been previously built. The part now under construction is 92x66 feet, four stories, and furnishes much needed class room facilities. One floor will be used ultimately for the Dept. of Geology, which for the past few years has been discontinued because of lack of proper facilities; laboratory and class room being unavailable in the institution. The fourth floor space will be devoted to museum purposes, now wholly lacking at the College. This addition will cost approximately $60, 000, the funds for which were appropriated by the Legislature at the last session."
The third and final addition to Minard Hall was built in 1929-1930. The north wing was intended to be an exact duplicate of the original south wing, but instead it seems that it follows more closely to the central wing. The north wing does duplicate the semi-circular bay at the center of the east facade, however the semi-circular bay is lacking on the north facade.
As part of the Commencement in June 1951, Science Hall was rededicated and named Minard Hall in honor of Dean A.E. Minard, who gave 46 years of service to the College. The College hymn, the words of which were written by Dean Minard, was sung at this time (Beacon Across the Prairie, p. 200).
External ResourceSee also NDSU Archives Building History web site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndsu-university-archives/collections/72157624385769264/
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionNDSU University Archives Glass Negative Collection
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (GPN B254b)
Rights ManagementCopyright held by the University Archives.
Languageeng
Digital IDua000529
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^