Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Morrill Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
Morrill Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleMorrill Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Original1930-03-31
DescriptionFront view of Morrill Hall, looking slightly to the southwest. To the left of the building and in the air seems to be some type of electrical equipment.
Ordering InformationConsult:
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Buildings
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University - Buildings
Morrill Hall (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Negative NumberB253d
Format of OriginalGlass negatives
Dimensions of Original13 x 18 cm.
Publisher of OriginalNorth Dakota Agricultural College (Fargo, N.D.)
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
TranscriptionAgri. Bldg."
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Title supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryThe construction of Morrill Hall (then known as the Agricultural Building) began in the Spring of 1922. The plans called for a three-story building (with a basement) measuring 55 feet by 145 feet. The plans also envisioned a north and south wing (exact duplicates of each other) added at a later date. The buildings' designers further proposed the construction of a 500 seat auditorium on the south addition or as a new addition on the west.
The Agricultural Building opened in January 1923 and housed the laboratories, classrooms and offices of the School of Agriculture making it the only campus building solely devoted to agriculture. The devotion to agriculture became stronger after the addition of the north wing. In 1929, the State Legislature appropriated $95, 000 for the wing's construction. The north wing (dimensions of 48 feet by 123 feet) was completed in 1930 and the Experiment Station and Extension Division (now called the Extension Service) moved in the following year.
Morrill Hall has undergone a major renovation project to meet the developing needs of the students and the School of Agriculture. The project began in 1975 with the sandblasting of the building's exterior. This was followed by the renovation of the basement, which was virtually unusable from the eight floods it suffered since 1946. The project ended in 1982 with the installation of an elevator, the installation of a new stairwell in the west wing, the creation of new offices and the relocation of all classrooms to the main floor. The total cost of the seven-year project was $600, 000.
In 1987, Morrill Hall was rededicated. Today, it houses the College of Agriculture, Food Systems and Natural Resources, as well as the Agricultural Experiment Station and the Cooperative Extension Service.
Architectural Information: "Three stories above raised basement, symmetrical facade; Flemish bond red brick, stone trim at water table, sills, and balcony over front east-entry; arched grouped third story windows; overhang tile roof. Keith and Kurke, architects. During 1929-30, a large north wing oriented east-west to the rear of Morrill Hall was constructed from plans by William F. Kurke." (National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form, Summer 1982, pp. 4-5)
External ResourceSee also NDSU Archives Building History web site:
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionNDSU University Archives Glass Negative Collection
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (GPN B253d)
Rights ManagementCopyright held by the University Archives.
Digital IDua000527
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^