Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Motor, Mechanical Arts Building, North Dakota Agricultural College
Motor, Mechanical Arts Building, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleMotor, Mechanical Arts Building, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Original1930-03-29
DescriptionMotor in the Engineering Department, Mechanical Arts Building.
Ordering InformationConsult:
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Engines
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University - Buildings
North Dakota State University - Classrooms
Mechanic Arts (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Negative NumberB251b
Format of OriginalGlass negatives
Dimensions of Original13 x 18 cm.
Publisher of OriginalNorth Dakota Agricultural College (Fargo, N.D.)
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"Interior, Eng. Dept."
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Title supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryThe Mechanic Arts Building was built in 1893-94 as part of a State appropriation. The first floor of the building was arranged to be used for offices, recitation, drawing and laboratory rooms for work in physics, as well as shops for wood work, machine work, and blacksmithing (Second Biennial Report, Board of Trustees, NDAC, p. 6). The second floor of the building contained a large hall which was used as a drill hall by the Military Department (NDAC Catalog, 1894-95, p. 7).
In 1899, just under $4, 000 was appropriated for a small addition to the Mechanic Arts Building. The addition, 24x32 feet, was equipped with anvils, forges, tools, and a steam blower to give instruction in blacksmithing (Fifth Biennial Report, Board of Trustees, NDAC, 1900, p. 120, 121). In 1901 the need was great for a larger forge shop, so the old one was taken down and a new one erected. The new addition, 44x68 feet in size, contained 40 down draft Buffalo forges. In connection with the forge shop, a two-story addition of 40x50 feet was added. The first floor of this addition was used for steam engines and the second floor for a lecture room. Both additions cost about $9500.
As of 1947 the building was slated for demolition, due to its poor condition. However, this did not stop the building from being used. In the 1960s, the Computer Center housed their administrative offices, academic services, and user consultant offices in the building. In 1972 a room on the first floor was condemned because the room's roof caved in at one time. It later became a storage room, and a metal strap served to keep the roof up. In approximately 1975, engineers went through the building and highly recommended no more money be spent on its maintenance. By 1986 the building's second floor was setting, causing the windows to seal improperly ("South Engineering May Bite Dust, " Fargo Forum, Jan. 19, 1990).
In 1990, NDSU's vice president for finance, H.D. Stockman, said "the only thing keeping it (the Mechanic Arts Building) up is the lack of (a new) Computer Center" ("South Engineering May Bite Dust, " Fargo Forum , Jan. 19, 1990). This statement was correct, for in 1992 the Computer Center moved into its new facilities in the Industrial Agriculture and Communications Center (IACC) and by March of 1993, the Mechanic Arts Building was torn down. Removal of the Mechanic Arts Building allowed NDSU to make room for a stair and elevator tower to make South Engineering handicapped accessible.
Architectural Information: "Simplified Rectilinear; two stories; yellow brick, jack-arch window lintels, bellcast deeply overhung roof, symmerical facade, recessed entrance facing southwest. Orff and Joralemon, architects." (National Register of Historic Places Inventory, Nomination Form, Summer 1982, p.3)
External ResourceSee also NDSU Archives Building History web site:
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionNDSU University Archives Glass Negative Collection
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (GPN B251b)
Rights ManagementCopyright held by the University Archives.
Digital IDua000522
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^