Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Van Es Hall (old), North Dakota Agricultural College
Van Es Hall (old), North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleVan Es Hall (old), North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Original1912
DescriptionOriginal Veterinary Building at North Dakota Agricultural College. View to the north of the main building and the attached clinic amphitheater.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Buildings
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University - Buildings
Van Es Hall (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1910-1919
Negative NumberGPN 474
Format of OriginalGlass negatives
Dimensions of Original13 x 18 cm.
Publisher of OriginalNorth Dakota Agricultural College (Fargo, N.D.)
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"Vet. Bldg. A.C."
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Title supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryIn 1909 $30, 000 was appropriated for the Veterinary Building (Old Van Es Hall). The construction of the Veterinary Building went smoothly and by September 1909 it was nearly enclosed. The building was a two-story structure measuring 73 feet by 92 feet. The first floor contained class and dissecting rooms as well as a large clinic amphitheater in the North East corner. The second floor contained more classrooms and laboratories. On the building's west side was a good-sized barn where animals used for demonstration purposes were kept.
During the 1950s, the Veterinary Building underwent two changes. In 1951 a third story was added and in 1952 it was rededicated as Van Es Laboratory in honor of Dr. Leunis Van Es. Dr. Van Es who was at the College from 1902 to 1920 served for fifteen years (1903-1918) as the head of the Veterinary Science Department and one year as Director of the Experiment Station.
By the 1970s, the condition of Van Es Hall had deteriorated greatly. Tin 1972 the State Legislature appropriated $1.78 million to build a new veterinary science building and "old" Van Es was torn down in 1973.
External ResourceSee also NDSU Archives Building History web site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndsu-university-archives/collections/72157624385769264/
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionNDSU University Archives Glass Negative Collection
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (GPN 474)
Rights ManagementCopyright held by the University Archives.
Languageeng;
Digital IDua000576
Original Sourceglass negative
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^