Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Dairy Building, North Dakota Agricultural College
Dairy Building, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleDairy Building, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Original1917-05
DescriptionExterior view of the Dairy Building (Engineering and Technology Building), with bike racks visible. A cement sculpture of a cow's head is centered above the front, center windows.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Buildings
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University - Buildings
Engineering and Technology Building (Fargo, N.D.)
Dairy Building (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1910-1919
Negative NumberGPN 1070
Format of OriginalGlass negatives
Dimensions of Original13 x 18 cm.
Publisher of OriginalNorth Dakota Agricultural College (Fargo, N.D.)
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"Dairy Building"
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Title supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryIn 1913, the North Dakota State Legislature appropriated $50, 000 for the construction of a dairy building on campus. The completed dairy building measured 84 feet by 52 feet, slightly smaller than originally planned. This building served both for giving instruction in the different branches of dairying as well as for investigational work carried on by the experiment station. Two offices were located on the second floor with a reading room between. A private laboratory was connected with one of the offices for investigational work. The Farm Dairy Room contained all the hand power equipment and apparatus used on up-to-date dairy farms. Around the wall of this room were a table or desk with three sets of drawers so that students were able to work more efficiently and were able to have a place to keep apparatus. The Creamery Factory Room was devoted to operations on a commercial scale. This room contained the power machinery and apparatus. Another room was designated for cheese making, ice cream manufacture, and milk supply studies. Two well-lit classrooms were provided. The building also contained four cold storage rooms and an elevator lifting material to the upper floor. The new building also contained a locker room with approximately 60 steel lockers to be used by students for their white duck suits which were required to be worn while in the dairy laboratories.
In 1976, the Dairy building became the Horticultural Science building and remained so until 1991. In 1992, the building was renamed Engineering Technology. Today, the Geosciences Department is getting ready to occupy the building.
Bibliographic Reference"North Dakota Dairy Building, " Fargo Forum, 11/7/1914, p.10; Spectrum, January 12, 1915, pp. 1-2
External ResourceSee also NDSU Archives Building History web site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndsu-university-archives/collections/72157624385769264/
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionNDSU University Archives Glass Negative Collection
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (GPN 10700
Rights ManagementCopyright held by the University Archives.
Languageeng;
Digital IDua000582
Original Sourceglass negative
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^