Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Y.M.C.A., North Dakota Agricultural College
Y.M.C.A., North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleY.M.C.A., North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Original1918-02-19
DescriptionWintery scene of the almost completed Y.M.C.A. building across University Drive (13th Street) from the main North Dakota Agricultural College campus. The view is to the northeast.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectSocial Life & Customs
Colleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Buildings
Snow
Utility poles
Young Men's Christian associations
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University
Young Men's Christian Association (North Dakota Agricultural College)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1910-1919
Negative NumberGPN 1421
Format of OriginalGlass negatives
Dimensions of Original13 x 18 cm.
Publisher of OriginalNorth Dakota Agricultural College (Fargo, N.D.)
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"Y.M.C.A. Bldg."
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Title supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryFundraising for the Agricultural College Y.M.C.A. began in 1914 and by 1917 sufficient funds had been raised, including donations from various big business firms and a $25, 000 donation from the Rockefeller Foundation. Work on the building, located at the corner of 13th Street (University Drive) and 12th Avenue (kitty-corner from the College Gates), had begun in 1917. Storages of building materials, due to the First World War, hindered the progress and it wasn't until October of 1919 that the building was completed. (The Spectrum, October 8, 1919, pp. 7-8)
As to the actual building, as per the 1919-1920 North Dakota Agricultural College catalogue (p. 53), "This is a two-story and basement brick building of handsome architecture and of complete fire proof construction. The basement provides locker rooms, shower baths, a bowling alley, a game room and a large room for the storage of students' trunks, etc. The first floor is given over to spacious lobby, writing room, reading room, library room and offices; also, a waiting and rest room for women, separated from the rest of the building but convenient to the street car line. On the second floor there is a large room designed for the double purpose of auditorium and gymnasium and two smaller committee or class rooms."
External ResourceSee also NDSU Archives Building History web site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndsu-university-archives/collections/72157624385769264/
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionNDSU University Archives Glass Negative Collection
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (GPN 1421)
Rights ManagementCopyright held by the University Archives.
Languageeng;
Digital IDua000594
Original Sourceglass negative
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^