Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Honeysuckle, Francis Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
Honeysuckle, Francis Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleHoneysuckle, Francis Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Original1916
DescriptionHoneysuckle shrubs growing along Francis Hall.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Agriculture
Environment
Subject (LCTGM)Shrubs
Buildings
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University - Buildings
North Dakota State University - Grounds
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1910-1919
Negative NumberGPN 1112
Format of OriginalGlass negatives
Dimensions of Original13 x 18 cm.
Publisher of OriginalNorth Dakota Agricultural College (Fargo, N.D.)
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"Honey Suckle - Francis Hall"
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Title supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryFrancis Hall, the second building built on the NDAC campus, was constructed in 1893. Originally called "The Dormitory" it was, in 1898, named in honor of O.W. Francis, a former President of the Board of Directors of the College. The original size of the building was 47x130 feet. (NDAC Catalog, 1905-1906, p. 13). b Increased enrollment made it necessary to convert Francis Hall into classrooms and laboratories in 1899. The new space was used to house the laboratories in Horticulture, Veterinary Science, Agriculture, and Household Economics. A large agricultural and miscellaneous museum was also added, in addition to lecture rooms for farm mechanics, offices, recitation rooms, sewing rooms, and a seed room. (Fifth Biennial Report, 1900, p. 13).
In 1924 the building contained the offices of the North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station and Extension division. (NDAC Catalog, 1924-25, p. 40). In 1931, $7, 500 was appropriated for the remodeling of Francis Hall (NDAC Catalog, 1932-33, p. 26). That same year, the School of Pharmacy moved into Francis Hall, taking all of the first floor and half of the second (The Spectrum, Oct. 2, 1931, p. 1, 4).
On the March 14, 1941, The Spectrum reported that the "Original Use of Francis Hall Now Forgotten." At this time, Francis Hall continued to house the School of Pharmacy laboratories and classrooms, as well as the Rural Sociology Department of the Experiment Station, the Extension Economics Department, and the Bureau of Agricultural Economics under the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
In 1959 the North Dakota Legislature appropriated $76, 000 for remodeling Francis, however, President Fred S. Hultz pointed out problems of continued use of the hall. Francis had been inspected and its insurance value lowered to $6, 000. This action convinced President Hultz that Francis should no longer be used, and should be demolished. As a result the legislature in 1961 appropriated $9, 000 for its demolition (The Sunday Fargo Forum, "Wrecking of Francis Hall At NDSU Is Unique In State, " September 17, 1961, p. B1).
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionNDSU University Archives Glass Negative Collection
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (GPN 1112)
Rights ManagementCopyright held by the University Archives.
Languageeng;
Digital IDua000586
Original Sourceglass negative
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^