Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Old Main, North Dakota Agricultural College
Old Main, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleOld Main, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Original1921-06-22
DescriptionFront view of Old Main with the Bjornson Memorial Obelisk visible in the foreground, as well as an automobile. Ivy covers the front center section of the building and the American flag is seen flying on the top of the tower.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Buildings
Flags
Monuments
Automobiles
Vines
Lampposts
Trees
Stairways
Windows
Grasses
Organization NameOld Main (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1920-1929
Negative Number2608a
Format of OriginalGlass negatives
Dimensions of Original13 x 18 cm.
Publisher of OriginalNorth Dakota Agricultural College (Fargo, N.D.)
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"(a, & b) Main Building (+K3)"
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Title supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryThe first permanent building on the North Dakota Agricultural College (NDAC) campus was College Hall, also called the Administration Building, but more commonly known as Old Main. In February 1891, the North Dakota State Legislature appropriated $25, 000 to erect the structure. The cornerstone was laid in 1891 and tradition has it that at the dedication no flag was available, so a student made a makeshift pennant with a pair of overalls (Bison 1950, pp.15-16). Construction of the lower levels were completed by the end of 1891 and on January 3, 1892, the institution opened its regular work in its permanent home, and enrolled 123 students for the term (First Biennial Report of the Board of Directors, 1891-1892, p. 6). An additional $3, 000 was appropriated in the next legislative session to complete the building and by the summer of 1893, it was considered completed.
Architectural Information - "Richardson Romanesque; 2 1/2 stories with raised basement; buff brick with base and trim of Duluth brownstone; clock tower/turrett at the southeast corner; recessed triple-arched main entrance arcade facing south. Hancock Brothers, architects." (National Register of Historic Places Inventory -
"On Tuesday morning, May 17 [1904], the Bjornson 'bauta sten' which had been placed on the A.C. grounds, in honor of Bjornstjerne Bjornson, the great Norwegian writer and statesman, was formally unveiled. The college and city was in holiday attire for the occasion. The buildings were all tastily decorated with bunting and the flags of Norway and the United States. A large crowd, variously estimated from three to five thousand, was on the grounds at 10 o'clock waiting for the program to begin." (The Spectrum, May 15, 1904, p. 113.)
External ResourceSee also NDSU Archives Building History web site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndsu-university-archives/collections/72157624385769264/
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionNDSU University Archives Glass Negative Collection
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (GPN 2608a)
Rights ManagementCopyright held by the University Archives.
Languageeng
Digital IDua000205
Original Sourceglass negative
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^