Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Old Main and partial back of Putnam Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
Old Main and partial back of Putnam Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleOld Main and partial back of Putnam Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Original1921-06-27
DescriptionPhotograph of front distant view of Old Main, obsured by trees and partial rear view of Putnam Hall, taken from 12th Avenue Noth, looking North.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Buildings
Utility poles
Hedges (Plants)
Trees
Flags
Flagpoles
Subject (LCSH)Carnegie libraries
Subject (AAT)Richardsonian Romanesque
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University - Buildings
Old Main (Fargo, N.D.)
Putnam Hall (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1920-1929
Negative Number2617a
Format of OriginalGlass negatives
Dimensions of Original13 x 18 cm.
Publisher of OriginalNorth Dakota Agricultural College (Fargo, N.D.)
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"Administration Builidng from South Road"
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Title supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryThe first permanent building on the North Dakota Agricultural College (NDAC) campus was College Hall, also called the Administration Building, but more commonly known as Old Main. In February 1891, the North Dakota State Legislature appropriated $25, 000 to erect the structure. The cornerstone was laid in 1891 and tradition has it that at the dedication no flag was available, so a student made a makeshift pennant with a pair of overalls (Bison 1950, pp.15-16). Construction of the lower levels were completed by the end of 1891 and on January 3, 1892, the institution opened its regular work in its permanent home, and enrolled 123 students for the term (First Biennial Report of the Board of Directors, 1891-1892, p. 6). An additional $3, 000 was appropriated in the next legislative session to complete the building and by the summer of 1893, it was considered completed.
Architectural Information: "Richardson Romanesque; 2 1/2 stories with raised basement; buff brick with base and trim of Duluth brownstone; clock tower/turret at the southeast corner; recessed triple-arched main entrance arcade facing south. Hancock Brothers, architects." (National Register of Historic Places Inventroy - Nomination Form, Summer 1982, p.3)
External ResourceSee also NDSU Archives Building History web site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndsu-university-archives/collections/72157624385769264/
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionNDSU University Archives Glass Negative Collection
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (GPN 2617a)
Rights ManagementCopyright held by the University Archives.
Languageeng
Digital IDua000215
Original Sourceglass negative
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^