Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Standing Rock, the sacred stone of the Sioux
Standing Rock, the sacred stone of the Sioux
TitleStanding Rock, the sacred stone of the Sioux
Date of Original1879
CreatorRogers, W. A. (William Allen), 1854-1931
Creator RoleIllustrator
DescriptionGroup of six Indians and two children gathered around stone in open country. In background is a log cabin and tipis by trees.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectIndians of North America
Subject (LCTGM)Monuments
Log cabins
Tipis
Trees
Subject (LCSH)Indians of North America
Indians of North America - Commemoration
Dakota Indians
LocationStanding Rock Indian Reservation (N.D. and S.D.)
Sioux County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Missouri River
Decade1870-1879
Item NumberFolio 102.InS72.3b
Format of OriginalLithographs
Color images
Dimensions of Original18 x 23 cm.
Publisher of OriginalHarper's Magazine Co.
Place of PublicationNew York (N.Y.)
Transcription"Sketches in the Northwest. Our first illustration on page 73 gives a view of old Fort Garry, the principal trading post of the Hudson Bay company in Manitoba. The sketch shows a portion of the fort, which is a formidable defense against Indian attacks, although it would not be much of an obstacle in the way of ordinary artillery. The building on the right is the company's store, where Indians and white trappers dispose of their furs and other spoils of the chase, and obtain in return supplies of food, ammunition, clothing, and any articles of outfit they may need. The lower illustration shows an interesting ceremony observed by the Sioux about the famous 'Standing Rock, ' situated near the Missouri River in Northern Dakota. This rock is of a very peculiar shape, and with it are connected several Indian legends. Among the Sioux the one most generally believed is that the stone was, many years ago, a young and beautiful Indian girl, whose betrothed was slain in battle. She mourned for him with the deepest and most constant sorrow, and although many warrior suitors sought her in marriage, she remained true to her first and only love. When she died, many years afterward, the Great Spirit transformed her body into this stone, so that, instead of mouldering in the dust, it might remain forever as a memorial of her love and fidelity. It is an object of great veneration among the Sioux, who visit it frequently, strew tobacco leaves, medicine bags, food, and trinkets around it, and paint the surface with rude, fantastic designs." - Article accompany image, found on page 74.
NotesTitle from caption with image.
One of two illustration on page. The other titled 'Traders at Fort Garry, Manitoba."
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, Institute for Regional Studies
Repository CollectionDakota Lithographs and Engravings Collection Folio 102
Collection Finding AidConsult: http://hdl.handle.net/10365/6673
Credit LineInstitute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Fargo (Folio 102.InS72.3b)
Rights ManagementImage in public domain.
Languageeng;
Digital IDrsL00072
Original SourceHarper's Weekly, Jan. 25, 1879. p. 73.
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^