Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Dakota, the laying of the corner-stone of the new capitol at Bismarck, September 5th
Dakota, the laying of the corner-stone of the new capitol at Bismarck, September 5th
TitleDakota, the laying of the corner-stone of the new capitol at Bismarck, September 5th
Date of Original1883
CreatorFarny, Henry Franc╠žois, 1847-1916
Creator RoleIllustrator
DescriptionLarge crowd of people, including Indians some of whom are on horses, gathered around raised platform on scaffolding with people. Block and tackle rises above platform, likely to set cornerstone in place.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectPolitics & Government
Subject (LCTGM)Capitols
Cornerstone laying
Crowds
Spectators
Subject (LCSH)Indians of North America
Organization NameNorth Dakota State Capitol (Bismarck, N.D.)
Dakota Territory. Legislative Assembly
LocationBismarck (N.D.)
Burleigh County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1880-1889
Item NumberFolio 102.CiB57.2a
Format of OriginalLithographs
Dimensions of Original20 x 25 cm.
Publisher of OriginalFrank Leslie's Publishing House
Place of PublicationNew York (N.Y.)
Transcription"From a sketch by Farny and photos. by F.J. Haynes, Fargo, D.T." - With caption.
"THE NEW CAPITOL OF DAKOTA. The 5th of September was a great day for Bismarck, Dakota, witnessing as it did the ceremony of laying the corner-stone of that Territory's Capitol. The occasion was made the more imposing by the presence and participation of President Villard's party of Northern Pacific excursionists on their way across the continent. At eight o'clock a procession took up the line of march to the Capitol grounds, the streets being filled with decorated carriages and wagons. Upon arriving at the spot Governor Ordway delivered an address of welcome, to which Mr. Villard replied, and speeches were then made by the German Minister, Baron von Eisendecker, William M. Evarts, Carl Schurz, Frederick Billings, Carter H. Harrison and Secretary Teller. An engrossed copy of the resolutions of the citizens of Bismarck in honor of the German Chancellor, after whom the city is named, was presented to the German Minister, and he made an appropriate response. A unique feature of the ceremonies was the speech of Sitting Bull, who occupied a prominent place and made an address which was translated to the assembled thousands by the Government interpreter. Work on the excavation for the building was begun August 25th, and the contract calls for its completion by April 1st next. It will be 150 by 180 feet in size, and three stories in height above the basement. The site is a beautiful one, and the new Capitol of Dakota promises to be in every way worthy of that enterprising Territory" - Text (p. 69) with image.
NotesTitle from caption.
ContributorHaynes, F. Jay (Frank Jay), 1853-1921
Contributor RolePhotographer;
Bibliographic Reference"The New Capitol of Dakota." Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, Sept. 22, 1883. p. 69.
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, Institute for Regional Studies
Repository CollectionDakota Lithographs and Engravings Collection Folio 102
Collection Finding AidConsult: http://hdl.handle.net/10365/6673
Credit LineInstitute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Fargo (Folio 102.CiB57.2a)
Rights ManagementImage in public domain.
Languageeng;
Digital IDrsL00032
Original SourceFrank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, Sept. 22, 1883. p. 72.
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^