Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Fargo - The First National Bank Building
Fargo - The First National Bank Building
TitleFargo - The First National Bank Building
Date of Original1886
DescriptionEngraving of two story brick First National Bank building located on the southwest corner of Front Street (Main Avenue) and South Broadway. A flag is flying on the flag pole at top of building.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectBusiness & Industry
Subject (LCTGM)Banks
Commercial facilities
Subject (LCSH)Building, Brick
Organization NameFirst National Bank (Fargo N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
AddressFargo (N.D.) - Main Avenue
Fargo (N.D.) - Main Avenue - 600 block
Fargo (N.D.) - S. Broadway
Fargo (N.D.) - S. Broadway - 10-31 block
Decade1880-1889
Item Number2065.3.2
Negative Number4x5P-53
Format of OriginalLithographs
Dimensions of Original11 x 13 cm.
Transcription"THE FIRST NATIONAL BANK.The First National Bank of Fargo is one of the strongest financial institutions in Dakota. It was organized in February, 1878, with a capital of $75, 000, doing business that year in a building 12x18, with but two employes to assist the officers of the bank. On the first of January, 1879, after nine months' operation, a dividend of twelve per cent was declared, and $1, 100 was carried to the surplus fund, the net earnings for that time being $11, 021.45. October, 1882, found the bank in the fine bank building, of which an illustration is given elsewhere, their deposits then amounting to $489, 386.98, the depositors numbering seven hundred and nineteen. That year exchange sold amounted to $5, 874, 263.22, and exchange bought to $7, 113, 613.27. The surplus and undivided profits amounted to $146, 712.60. Messrs. E. B. Eddy. of Plainview, Minn., and G. L. Erskine, of Racine, Wis., came to Fargo in November, 1877, for the purpose of establishing the Bank of Fargo, but finding others had organized under that name they determined to organize a national bank, which they did. They commenced business March 1, 1878, with E. B. Eddy, president; N. K. Hubbard, vice president; E. C. Eddy, cashier; and these with E. S. Tyler and Harry Stevens, directors. Mr. E. B. Eddy continued president until his death in February, 1885, when E. C. Eddy was chosen in his stead. N. K. Hubbard was succeeded as vice president by John D. Benton in 1882, and he by E. C. Eddy. In April, 1885, G. Q. Erskine was elected to this office. When elected to the vice presidency in 1883, E C. Eddy was succeeded by C. E. Robbins, cashier. The stock of this bank commands a premium of one hundred per cent." - text from associated article published in the Northwest Magazine, March 1886, p. 8.
NotesTitle printed under engraving.
Engraver unknown.
Image published in The Northwest Magazine, March 1886, p. 8.
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, Institute for Regional Studies
Repository CollectionFargo Public Library Photograph Collection 2065
Collection Finding AidConsult: http://hdl.handle.net/10365/979
Credit LineFargo Public Library Photograph Collection, NDIRS-NDSU (2065.3.2)
Languageeng;
Digital IDfpl00003
Original SourcePhotograph
Digital AlterationsThumbnail version cropped
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^