Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Fargo - The Bank of Fargo Block
Fargo - The Bank of Fargo Block
TitleFargo - The Bank of Fargo Block
Date of Original1886
DescriptionEngraving of three story Gothic style brick commercial building with two Oriel windows on the side. Signs painted on side of building state "Bank of Fargo. Chas Sweatt & Co. Law Offices of Miller & Green". Building was located on the northwest corner of Broadway and N. P. Avenue.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectBusiness & Industry
Subject (LCTGM)Banks
Commercial facilities
Subject (LCSH)Building, Brick
Architecture, Gothic
Subject (AAT)Oriel windows
Organization NameBank of Fargo Block (Fargo, N.D.)
Charles Sweatt & Co. (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
AddressFargo (N.D.) - Broadway
Fargo (N.D.) - Broadway - 50-75 block
Fargo (N.D.) - N.P. Avenue
Fargo (N.D.) - N.P. Avenue - 600 block
Decade1880-1889
Item Number2065.3.1
Negative Number4x5P-54
Format of OriginalLithographs
Dimensions of Original11 x 13 cm.
Transcription"THE BANK OF FARGO. The Bank of Fargo, owned by Charles Sweatt, H. F. Miller and C. C. Schuyler, under the firm name of Charles Sweatt & Co., commenced business March 1, 1879. The members of the firm reached Fargo on the fifth day of February, 1879, and on the sixth purchased the old Bank of Fargo owned by Hammell & Harwood. They immediately erected a small wooden building which they commenced business in and occupied until Oct. 1, 1884, when their present magnificent bank building was occupied. Their building, of which an illustration is given on this page, is 51 x 80 feet, three stories and basement, built of St. Louis red brick, and trimmed with Ohio sandstone, with gas, water, sewerage, etc. Its vaults extend from the basement to the third story. That for the bank is supplied with Sargeant & Greenleaf's time lock and is fitted with every convenience, including Diebold & Co.'s burglar-proof safe. The south half of the lower story of the building is used for banking purposes, and it is doubtful if a better arranged or better finished banking room can be found at any point in the Northwest. The floor is laid with tiling. The counters, about sixty feet in length, are of cherry, with railings of cherry and plate glass. The walls are wainscotted with cherry and in square panels to a height of about five feet. The directors' room is equally well finished and furnished to correspond with the finish. The building, costing $47, 000, is owned by the bank, which has always done a conservative and successful business. It's depositors number between three and four hundred, and its deposits amount to $175, 000. Its business is constantly increasing, the increase being about thirty-three and one-third per cent during 1885. The south half of the second story of the building is occupied by Messrs. Miller& Greene, lawyers. Mr. Miller is one of the owners of the bank. Mr. Sweatt is also a silent partner of the law firm of Miller & Greene. They occupy a suite six rooms, the main rooms being connected by folding doors. The cashier's counter is of the same style as that in use in the bank and the vault is the same. The business of the firm is probably as large, if not the largest, law practice in the Territory. It is conducted by the members of the firm and seven assistants, including two stenographers, is thoroughly systematized, and ably managed in all its branches."- text from associated article published in the Northwest Magazine, March 1886, p. 9.
NotesTitle printed under engraving.
Engraver unknown.
Image published in The Northwest Magazine, March 1886, p. 9.
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, Institute for Regional Studies
Repository CollectionFargo Public Library Photograph Collection 2065
Collection Finding AidConsult: http://hdl.handle.net/10365/979
Credit LineFargo Public Library Photograph Collection, NDIRS-NDSU (2065.3.1)
Languageeng;
Digital IDfpl00002
Original SourcePhotograph
Digital AlterationsThumbnail version cropped
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^