Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Black Building, Broadway, Fargo, N.D.
Black Building, Broadway, Fargo, N.D.
TitleBlack Building, Broadway, Fargo, N.D.
Date of Originalbetween 1930 and 1931
DescriptionAn elevated view of the Black Building looking Southwest from Broadway and Second Ave North with automobiles parked at curb. Next door to the Black Building on the left is J.J. Newberry 5, 10, and 25 cent Store. On the right is F.W. Peterson Co. A few women looking at the window display. U.S. flag flying from pole along curb.
General SubjectCity & Town Life
Business & Industry
Subject (LCTGM)Buildings
Department stores
Office buildings
Automobiles
Flags
Windows
Personal NameBlack, George M.
Organization NameBlack Building (Fargo, N.D.)
F. W. Peterson Co. (Fargo, N.D.)
Lang, Raugland & Lewis
Braseth & Houkom (Fargo, N.D.)
T. F. Powers & Co. (Fargo, N.D.)
Sears, Roebuck and Company
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
AddressFargo (N.D.) - Broadway - 100 block
Decade1930-1939
Item Number2070.146.2
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original23 x 16 cm.
Transcription"Black Bldg"--Handwritten on front of photograph. "Black Bldg; Peterson Jewelry; Newberry diner star; Merchants Nat'l Bank"--Handwritten on back of photograph.
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Title created by staff.
Biography/HistoryGeorge M. Black purchased property on Broadway in 1912, and opened the Black Store. He then added a dry goods store and a jewelry store on Broadway. Sears, Roebuck and Company offered to buy Black's properties in 1929, which Black accepted. Black used the proceeds to help finance construction of the Black Building, which provided a lower level, balcony and second floor for Sears and six floors above for offices. Lang, Raugland & Lewis of Minneapolis, MN designed the Black Building with Braseth and Houkom Assoc. architects of Fargo, ND. T. F. Powers Construction built the building, with an approximate cost of $450,000, and the cornerstone was laid on November 17, 1930. Sears opened for business in 1931.
Repository InstitutionCass County Historical Society
Repository CollectionCass County Historical Society Photography Collection 2070 (Institute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Fargo)
Credit LineCass County Historical Society, Bonanzaville, West Fargo (2070.146.2)
Rights ManagementCopyright status unknown.
Ordering Informationhttp://www.bonanzaville.org/main.php (701) 282-2822 Cass County Historical Society 1351 West Main Ave. West Fargo, ND 58078
Languageeng;
GrantNHPRC SNAP Grant 2008-2009, NAR08-RC-10021-08
Digital IDdm20701462
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^