Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
St. Luke's School of Nursing, Fargo, N.D.
St. Luke's School of Nursing, Fargo, N.D.
TitleSt. Luke's School of Nursing, Fargo, N.D.
Date of Originalno earlier than 1913
DescriptionThe front and side of the St. Luke's Hosptial Nursing School, a two story frame building consisting of 20 rooms plus a bathroom, laundry and full basement was built in 1913 behind St. Luke's Hospital. The front has a porch.
General SubjectHealth & Medicine
Education
Subject (LCTGM)Buildings
Schools
Porches
Organization NameSt. Luke's Hospital (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
Decade1910-1919
1920-1929
1930-1939
1940-1949
Item NumberS4975.5135.11.2
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original13 x 18 cm.
Transcription"St. Luke's School of Nursing (Old Building)" -- handwritten in black pen on back.
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Photographer unknown.
Biography/HistoryOn February 25, 1908 St. Luke's Hospital opened on North Broadway at Eighth Avenue, Fargo, N.D. Sister Osa Oppendahl of the Deaconesses from the Norwegian Lutheran Church of Chicago was put in charge of the St. Luke's School of Nursing which was started in 1908. The first class graduated from the School of Nursing in 1910. The class consists of three students, Anna McDonald, Hazel Hodgson and Olga Gronley. All had completed one year of training elsewhere before entering St. Luke's program. The first School of Nursing residence, a two-story frame building consisting of 20 rooms plus a bathroom, laundry and full basement was built in 1913. In 1918, a new addition was completed on the east end of the building, doubling the hospital's size. In 1921, the Fargo Clinic opens its doors just north of the hospital.
Repository InstitutionCass County Historical Society
Repository CollectionCass County Historical Society Photography Collection 2070 (Institute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Fargo)
Credit LineCass County Historical Society, Bonanzaville, West Fargo (S4975, 5135, Box 11, Photo's 2)
Ordering Informationhttp://www.bonanzaville.org/main.php,
(701) 282-2822
Cass County Historical Society
1351 West Main Ave.
West Fargo, ND 58078
GrantNHPRC SNAP Grant 2008-2009, NAR08-RC-10021-08
Digital IDdm112
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^