Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
A crowd at the Bismarck Junior College Schafer Heights groundbreaking, Bismarck, N.D.
A crowd at the Bismarck Junior College Schafer Heights groundbreaking, Bismarck, N.D.
TitleA crowd at the Bismarck Junior College Schafer Heights groundbreaking, Bismarck, N.D.
Date of Original1960-05-19
CreatorWeinreich, Bernard
Creator RolePhotography
DescriptionA group of men at the ground breaking ceremony for new Bismarck Junior College campus on Schafer Heights. All of the men are in suits and ties. One man is standing at a podium with a microphone and appears to be leading a prayer as all of the other men are holding their hats and their heads are bowed. An American flag is also visible.
General SubjectColleges and universities
People
Subject (LCTGM)Universities & colleges
Men
Ground breaking ceremonies
Podiums
Sound equipment & supplies
Crowds
Prayer
Suits (Clothing)
Neckties
Dirt
Governors
Subject (LCSH)Microphone
Personal NameRue, Milton Sr.
Aleck, John
Conrad, John
Quale, Warner R. (Warner Raymond)
Lutness, Magnus
Davis, John E., 1913-1990
Schafer, Harold Lyle, 1912-
Lahr, Ed
Larson, Guy
Erksin, Harland
McCarthy, Pat
Mead, Skip
Lee, Sidney J.
Rossi, Joseph
Organization NameBismarck Junior College
LocationBismarck (N.D.)
Decade1960-1969
Item NumberBS-144
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original25 x 20 cm.
Transcription"Bismarck Junior College Campus Dedication Ceremony Thursday, May 19, 1960. Left to R. ?, Dean Lee, ? Joe Rossi, Harland Erskine, ??, Dick Olson, Sidney Lee, Skip Mead, Pat McCarthy, Harlan Erskin, Dr. N..ssle, ___, Guy Larson, Rev. Lindsey, Ed Lahr, Harold Schaffer, John Davis, Magnus Lutness, T.E. Simle, Warner Quale, John Conrad, John Aleck, Milt Rue. Herb Schimmelpfenning collection."--Handwritten on back of photo.
NotesTitle created by staff.
Biography/HistoryBismarck Junior College was originally located on the 3rd floor of Bismarck High School (1939-spring 1955). The new general purpose building made it the only junior college located on capitol grounds. It was assumed it would remain near the capitol, but due to a rising student population it was later moved to its current location in 1960. The land for the campus was donated by Harold Schafer, giving it the name Schafer Heights. This photograph was collected by Herb Schimmelpfenning who was an administrator at the college. He left the collection with the college and it was discovered after his death.
Repository InstitutionBismarck State College Library Archives
Repository CollectionHerb Schimmelpfenning Collection
Credit LineBismarck State College Library Archives (BS-144)
Rights ManagementCopyright transferred to Bismarck State College Library Archives.
Ordering InformationBismarck State College Library Archives
Attn: Carolyn Twingley
1500 Edwards Avenue Bismarck, ND 58501
(701) 224-5503
Carolyn.Twingley@bsc.nodak.edu
GrantNHPRC SNAP Grant 2009-2010 NAR10-RC-10062-09
Digital IDdmBS144
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^