Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan down Pan up Pan left Pan right Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Bank, Cavalier, N.D.
Bank, Cavalier, N.D.
TitleBank, Cavalier, N.D.
Date of Originalbetween 1891 and 1920?
DescriptionAt center-left the bank in Cavalier, N.D. is visible. It is a two story brick building with several windows. A child stands on the street in front of the building. The sign on the building reads "AGENCY HARTFORD FIRE INSURANCE CHARTERED 1810. LOSSES PAID $43, 000, 000". Notice the street is not paved.
General SubjectCity & Town Life
Business & Industry
People
Subject (LCTGM)Banks
Children
Streets
Subject (LCSH)Building, Brick
Organization NameFirst National Bank (Cavalier, N.D.)
LocationPembina County (N.D.)
Cavalier (N.D.)
Decade1890-1899
1900-1909
1910-1919
1920-1929
Item NumberPCHS-5183
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Transcription"BANK CAVALIER" Handwritten on front of photograph. "Bank, Cavalier, N. Dak. This picture belongs to Margaret P. Neal, Perth, N. Dak" Handwritten on back of photograph.
"THIS BUILDING WAS PLATTED ON FEBRUARY 13, 1891, IT WAS SOLD MAY 29 OF THAT YEAR TO LEWIS E. BOOKER BY NARCISSE AND SOPHRONIE HERBERT. ABOUT THREE YEARS LETER, OCTOBER 5, 1894, BOOKER SOLD THE PROPERTY TO THE FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF CAVALIER. JOHN A. BURNS OBTAINED THE PROPERTY NOVEMBER 15, 1927 FROM A. J. WALLERIUS. AS RECEIVER OF THE FIRST NATIONAL BANK HERE. CONSIDERATION WAS REPORTED AS $8500.00 AND ONE 1926 STUDEBAKER COACH AUTOMOBILE. THE PROPERTY WAS LEASED BY BURNS TO THE U.S. POSTOFFICE IN CAVALIER ON JUNE 2, 1928. UPON THE DEATH OF BURNS, THE PROPERTY WAS DECREED TO SANCY BURNS, HIS MOTHER. THE PROPERTY WAS SOLD BY SANCY BURNS TO HAZEL A. AND HARRY STOUGHTON ON JANUARY 20, 1937. IN FEBRUARY OF 1969 ITW AS PURCHASED BY THE NEWLY FORMED PEMBINA COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY FOR $4000.00 THIS STRUCTURE IS 50 X 50 FEET. THE PEMBINA COUNTY HISTORICAL MUSEuM'S FIRST BOARD OF DIRECTORS CONSISTED OF LORNE HILLIER, HENSEL; CLIFTON JENSON, CAVALIER; GEORGIA MAIZE, CRYSTAL; WESLEY ARGUE, CAVALIER; MRS. HAROLD JENSON SR., NECHE; MR. & MRS. GEORGE RATHBUN, CRYSTAL; HECTOR JOHNSTONE, WALHALLA; HAROLD JENSON, SR., NECHE; WILLIAM GRANDY, ST. THOMAS; WILLIAM STURLAUGSON, CAVALIER; AND GUNDER BURG, CAVALIER" - Printed on sheet pasted to photograph.
NotesTitle created by staff.
Photographer unknown.
Bibliographic ReferenceCavalier: Voices From The Past And Present. Northeastern North Dakota Heritage Association, 2000, 44.
Repository InstitutionPembina County Historical Society
Repository CollectionPembina County Historical Society Photograph Collection
Credit LinePembina County Historical Society (PCHS-5183)
Rights ManagementCopyright transferred to Pembina County Historical Society.
Ordering InformationPembina County Historical Society
Zelda Hartje
13572 Hwy 5
Cavalier, ND 58220
Phone: (701) 265-4941
Email: pchsm@polarcomm.com
GrantNHPRC SNAP Grant 2009-2010 NAR10-RC-10062-09
Digital IDdmPCHS5183
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^