|Title||O. St. Clair and Jennie Chenery portrait |
|Date of Original||190-? |
|Description||A studio portarit of husband and wife, Oscar St. Clair and Jennie Martha (Kelley) Chenery. Mrs. Chenery is wearing a decorated hat, and they both have coats on. |
|Personal Name||Chenery, Oscar St. Clair, 1861-1922|
Chenery, Jennie Martha Kelley, 1866-1949
|Organization Name||Order of the Eastern Star|
Stutsman County (N.D.)
|Item Number||ST242 |
|Format of Original||Gelatin silver prints|
|Dimensions of Original||19 x 14 cm. |
|Notes||Unknown photographer. |
|Biography/History||Oscar St. Clair was born in Cheltenham, England on 5 March 1861. He was educated at Framlingham College from 1871, and then took employment with a Sunderland engineering works. In 1882, he emigrated to North Dakota, establishing himself in business in Jamestown, N.D. as a sporting goods store owner. Chenery Hardware was a Jamestown business on or near Main Avenue. On 24 November 1886, in Jamestown, N.D. he married Jennie Martha Kelley (1866-1949) of Jamestown. He died at home on 13 May 1922. |
The Order Eastern Star is the ladies Auxiliary to the Masonic Order. It was founded in New York City in 1868 and has a beautiful and impressive ritualistic work gleaned from Biblical times. Lady Washington Chapter No. 1 was organized on September 15, 1887, as chapter No. 8 in Dakota Territory and the first in what is now North Dakota.
The North Dakota Grand Lodge 0. E. S. was organized at Valley City in June 1894, and Mrs. Elizabeth 0. (Mrs. H. E.) White of Lady Washington Chapter was elected the first Most Worthy Grand Matron. Other members of Lady Washington Chapter No. 1 who have been Grand Lodge officers were Grand Matrons Elizabeth E. Porter in 1887 and Jennie M. (Kelly) Chenery in 1911. Frances J. Ingalls was Grand Patron in 1899 and George L. McGregor in 1903.
Mrs. Jennie M. Chenery was secretary from 1898-1900, and 1904-1922. She has long been active in both the local chapter and the North Dakota Grand Lodge and her counsel and advice is much sought and always timely. She came to Jamestown from Ft. Totten with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. A. W. Kelley, and brother, Horatio W. Kelley, in 1872 and has resided here continuously since that time.
|Bibliographic Reference||Order of the Eastern Star and Jennie Chenery information from: http://www.ndoes.org/LadyWNo1.htm and http://www.art-science.com/Baldry/pp/h7a.html. |
|Repository Institution||Stutsman County Memorial Museum|
|Repository Collection||Stutsman County Memorial Museum Photographs|
|Credit Line||Stutsman County Memorial Museum, Jamestown, N.D. (ST242) |
|Rights Management||Owned by Stutsman County Memorial Museum. |
|Ordering Information||Stutsman County Memorial Museum |
Address: Box 1002, Jamestown, N.D. 58401
Open: Memorial Day - September, 10am-5pm Weekdays and 1pm-5pm Weekends.
|Grant||NHPRC SNAP Grant 2008-2009, NAR08-RC-10021-08 |
|Digital ID||dmST242 |