Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan down Pan up Pan left Pan right Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Anton Klaus sitting outside, Jamestown, N.D.
Anton Klaus sitting outside, Jamestown, N.D.
TitleAnton Klaus sitting outside, Jamestown, N.D.
Date of Original188-?
DescriptionA view of Anton Klaus sitting outside on a chair on a front porch with the street and other storefronts in the background. He is holding a paper and wearing a suit and hat.
General SubjectPeople
Pioneer Era
Subject (LCTGM)Men
Hats
Suits (Clothing)
Storefronts
Personal NameKlaus, Anton, 1829-1897
LocationJamestown (N.D.)
Stutsman County (N.D.)
Decade1870-1879
1880-1889
Item NumberST315
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original45 x 30 cm.
Transcription"Anton Klaus, Born: 1829 in Prussia, Died: 7-22-1897. Came to North Dakota in 1879 and was called the Father of Jamestown. He built the Gladstone Hotel Block in 1885. He donated Anton Klaus Park to Jamestown. Picture donated by Ethel Hauser, Jamestown, N.D."--Printed on card.
NotesAlden Kollman, a board member at Stutsman County Memorial Museum, took a digital photograph of this large portrait on June 8, 2009.
Biography/HistoryAnton Klaus was called the Father of Jamestown. He was born in the village of Bruttig, Prussia, in 1829. At age 20 he came to the United States with his father and four brothers, and they settled in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Anton Klaus had a lumber yard which he expanded till it became the biggest shingle buyer, manufacturer and trader in the United States. Because of the panic of 1873 Anton Klaus moved to Jamestown, N.D. in Stutsman County in 1878. Klaus set up a general store handling farm machinery. He purchased a quarter section of land south of the newly resurveyed townsite. He laid out three townsite additions and began selling lots. By 1879 Klaus had built two hotels, the Northwestern House and the Dakotah House, and in 1880 he began construction of a mill. Klaus continued to build Jamestown, building twenty or more houses. In 1883 he built the Klaus House, a community hall on First Avenue North. In 1882 Klaus started a brick factory, and after that Jamestown was lined with brick buildings. Anton Klaus built the Gladstone Hotel next to the Klaus House in 1885, four generations of the Klaus family operated the Gladstone during its lifetime. Klaus set aside a piece of land, fifteen acres, which was given to the city as a park, Klaus Park. Anton Klaus died of a heart attack on July 22, 1897. He was 67, and the whole town mourned the sudden death.
Repository InstitutionStutsman County Memorial Museum
Repository CollectionStutsman County Memorial Museum Photographs
Credit LineStutsman County Memorial Museum, Jamestown, N.D. (ST315)
Rights ManagementOwned by Stutsman County Memorial Museum.
Ordering InformationStutsman County Memorial Museum
Phone: 701-252-6741
Address: Box 1002, Jamestown, N.D. 58401
Open: Memorial Day - September, 10am-5pm Weekdays and 1pm-5pm Weekends.
GrantNHPRC SNAP Grant 2008-2009, NAR08-RC-10021-08
Digital IDdmST315
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^