Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Parkview Hospital, Jamestown, N.D.
Parkview Hospital, Jamestown, N.D.
TitleParkview Hospital, Jamestown, N.D.
Date of Original1914?
DescriptionA four story brick building built in 1913 called the Parkview Hospital in Jamestown, N.D. It was renamed Trinity Hospital in 1917. On the left in the background is a building, possibly a barn.
General SubjectHealth & Medicine
Subject (LCTGM)Hospitals
Nursing
Schools
Buildings
Subject (LCSH)Building, Brick
Organization NameParkview Hospital (Jamestown, N.D.)
Trinity Hospital (Jamestown, N.D.)
LocationJamestown (N.D.)
Stutsman County (N.D.)
Decade1910-1919
Item NumberST308
Format of OriginalPhotographic postcards
Dimensions of Original9 x 14 cm.
Transcription"Park View Hospital, Jamestown, N.D."
Photo rights res, 222-7 G.W.S."-- Handwritten on front of photograph.
Biography/HistoryIn 1913, the Parkview Hospital Training School for Nurses in Jamestown, North Dakota began. A forerunner of Jamestown's Trinity Hospital School of Nursing.
Parkview Hospital as it looked in 1914. Jamestown physicians built it and opened a nursing school. The physicians of Jamestown Clinic - W. Gerrish, W.W. Wood and P.G. Arzt helped put up the capital for a new hospital. The group built a $40,000, 45 bed thoroughly modern, elevator-equipped hospital and it opened in 1913. They called it Parkview Hospital. It would take another $10,000 to make it ready for service. The four-story brick structure featured comfortable patient rooms, south facing sun decks and drew no small amount of attention for having one of the best equipped laundry facilities in the state. Within a year of its opening, Parkview was preparing nurses; it was the first hospital in North Dakota to operate a student nursing program. They asked the Sisters of St. Joseph, an order of nuns based in St. Paul, MN, to consider staffing the new hospital in Jamestown. The transfer was made in Sept. 1917, and the hospital was renamed Trinity Hospital.
Bibliographic ReferenceCentury of Stories, Jamestown, N.D. and Stutsman County, 1883-1983. Fort Seward Historical Society, 1983. p. 91.
Repository InstitutionStutsman County Memorial Museum
Repository CollectionStutsman County Memorial Museum Photographs
Credit LineStutsman County Memorial Museum, Jamestown, N.D. (ST308)
Rights ManagementOwned by Stutsman County Memorial Museum.
Ordering InformationStutsman County Memorial Museum
Phone: 701-252-6741
Address: Box 1002, Jamestown, N.D. 58401
Open: Memorial Day - September, 10am-5pm Weekdays and 1pm-5pm Weekends.
GrantNHPRC SNAP Grant 2008-2009, NAR08-RC-10021-08
Digital IDdmST308
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^