Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
L.O. Burkum Store, Manfred, N.D.
L.O. Burkum Store, Manfred, N.D.
TitleL.O. Burkum Store, Manfred, N.D.
Date of Original191-?
DescriptionA view looking down a dirt road in Manfred, N.D. There are a few small buildings on the left, a house at the end of the road, and a few buildings and storefronts on the right. The building second up the street on the right was the Burkum Store. There is an automobile parked outside another building on the right.
General SubjectBusiness & Industry
City & Town Life
Subject (LCTGM)Buildings
Wooden buildings
Storefronts
Dirt roads
Stores & shops
Personal NameBurkum, Lars O., 1876-1943
Organization NameL.O. Burkum Store (Manfred, N.D.)
LocationManfred (N.D.)
Wells County (N.D.)
Decade1900-1909
1910-1919
Item Number001.03.01
Format of OriginalPhotographic postcards
Dimensions of Original9 x 14 cm.
Transcription"Manfred"--Handwritten on back of photograph.
Biography/HistoryIn 1894 T. K. Rogne and L.(Lars) O. Burkum established the first store in Manfred, N.D. located on Block 3, Lot 8. In 1905 they built the building pictured which was known as the Burkum Hardware Store. In 1916 Lars O. Burkum sold the store and bought a farmstead three miles west of Manfred, N.D.
H. B. Myhre bought out L. O. Burkum in 1916 and Anton Aasand and Nick Halvorson was purchased the building in 1917. In 1926 the Sons of Norway purchased the building for lodge use and continued to use it until 1952 when the building burned down.
Bibliographic ReferenceInformation found at the ManfredND.org website under Biographies and then the families last name, and Businesses and then the business name.
Repository InstitutionManfred Heritage Museum
Repository CollectionManfred Heritage Museum Photograph Collection
Credit LineManfred Heritage Museum, Manfred, N.D. (001.03.01)
Rights ManagementCopyright unknown.
Ordering InformationManfred Heritage Museum
Visit the Manfred History and Preservation, Inc. website: ManfredND.org - go to Guestbook.
Mailing address: Manfred History and Preservation Inc., PO Box 321, Harvey, N.D. 58341
Open May 1- September 30, on Tuesday- Saturday 10am-4pm.
When open, Museum phone number (701) 547-2564.
Manfred project historian, Audrey Solheim, e-mail address, administrator@manfrednd.org
Winter phone numbers that are published in their newsletter for staff who could open the museum on special request are 701-547-3123, 701-324-2091, and Pam Norstedt at 701-324-2027.
GrantNHPRC SNAP Grant 2008-2009, NAR08-RC-10021-08
Digital IDdm0010301
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^