Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Pa's store, Burkum store, Manfred, N.D.
Pa's store, Burkum store, Manfred, N.D.
TitlePa's store, Burkum store, Manfred, N.D.
Date of Originalbetween 1905-1916
DescriptionAn interior view of the L.O. Burkum Store in Manfred, N.D. In the center are counters with merchandise such as pants. On the front table is a box that says, "We Sell Phoenix brand Shirts, Pants, Duck Coats and Overalls." There is a furnace and a clear light fixture hanging from the decorative tin ceiling. On the left is a counter with stools, and display case with goods inside. There are boxes all along the walls. On the right are more boxes and a counter. Each counter has a man standing behind it.
General SubjectBusiness & Industry
Subject (LCTGM)Interiors
Stores & shops
Counters
Merchandise displays
Clothing & dress
Clothing stores
Hardware stores
Furnaces
Light fixtures
Ceilings
Clerks
Employees
Stools
Trousers
Hats
Boxes
Personal NameBurkum, Lars O., 1876-1943
Halvorson, Nick
Organization NameL.O. Burkum Store (Manfred, N.D.)
LocationManfred (N.D.)
Wells County (N.D.)
Decade1900-1909
1910-1919
Item Number001.03.07
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original20 x 25 cm.
Transcription"Pa's store, Nick Halvorson." -- Handwritten on back of photograph.
NotesPhotographer unknown.
Title created by staff.
Biography/HistoryIn 1894 T. K. Rogne and L.(Lars) O. Burkum established the first store in Manfred, N.D. located on Block 3, Lot 8. In 1905 they built the building pictured which was known as the Burkum Hardware Store. In 1916 Lars O. Burkum sold the store and bought a farmstead three miles west of Manfred, N.D.
H. B. Myhre bought out L. O. Burkum in 1916 and Anton Aasand and Nick Halvorson was purchased the building in 1917. In 1926 the Sons of Norway purchased the building for lodge use and continued to use it until 1952 when the building burned down.
Bibliographic ReferenceInformation found at the ManfredND.org website under Biographies and then the families last name, and Businesses and then the business name.
Repository InstitutionManfred Heritage Museum
Repository CollectionManfred Heritage Museum Photograph Collection
Credit LineManfred Heritage Museum, Manfred, N.D. (001.03.07)
Rights ManagementCopyright status unknown.
Ordering InformationManfred Heritage Museum
Visit the Manfred History and Preservation, Inc. website: ManfredND.org - go to Guestbook.
Mailing address: Manfred History and Preservation Inc., PO Box 321, Harvey, N.D. 58341
Open May 1- September 30, on Tuesday- Saturday 10am-4pm.
When open, Museum phone number (701) 547-2564.
Manfred project historian, Audrey Solheim, e-mail address, administrator@manfrednd.org
Winter phone numbers that are published in their newsletter for staff who could open the museum on special request are 701-547-3123, 701-324-2091, and Pam Norstedt at 701-324-2027.
GrantNHPRC SNAP Grant 2008-2009, NAR08-RC-10021-08
Digital IDdm0010307
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^