Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Griggs County Courthouse, Cooperstown, N.D.
Griggs County Courthouse, Cooperstown, N.D.
TitleGriggs County Courthouse, Cooperstown, N.D.
Date of Original1960-06-05
CreatorBurkum, Lester, 1912-2001
Creator RolePhotographer
DescriptionExterior view of the brick Griggs County courthouse that was built in 1884 in Cooperstown, N.D. There is a brick tower on the left.
General SubjectPolitics & Government
Subject (LCTGM)Buildings
Government facilities
Subject (LCSH)Building, Brick
Subject (AAT)Gothic Revival
Organization NameGriggs County Courthouse (Cooperstown, N.D.)
LocationCooperstown (N.D.)
Griggs County (N.D.)
Item NumberS-133
Format of OriginalSlides
Color images
Dimensions of Original5 x 5 cm.
Transcription"June 5, 1960, Courthouse built in 1884, Cooperstown, N.D."--Handwritten on slide.
Biography/HistoryThe courthouse is located on Rollin Avenue, designed by F.B. Edwards and built by Alexander Moffat of Sanborn, N.D. The 2-storey structure is 91 ft. long and 48 ft. wide. It has a stone foundation and the walls are red brick laid in mortor of the same color. The stair tower, at the northeast corner, has a pyramidal roof surmounted by an ornate weathervane. There are a variety of wall enrichment styles. Trees were planted on the grounds in 1891. The Griggs County Courthouse, in Cooperstown, N.D. was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. Its historic significance is the politics/government aspect and its architecture. It was built in 1884 in the Gothic and other styles.
Repository InstitutionManfred Heritage Museum
Repository CollectionLester Burkum Slide Collection
Credit LineManfred Heritage Museum, Manfred, N.D. (S-133)
Rights ManagementCopyright status unknown.
Ordering InformationManfred Heritage Museum
Visit the Manfred History and Preservation, Inc. website: - go to Guestbook.
Mailing address: Manfred History and Preservation Inc., PO Box 321, Harvey, N.D. 58341
Open May 1- September 30, on Tuesday- Saturday 10am-4pm.
When open, Museum phone number (701) 547-2564.
Manfred project historian, Audrey Solheim, e-mail address,
Winter phone numbers that are published in their newsletter for staff who could open the museum on special request are 701-547-3123, 701-324-2091, and Pam Norstedt at 701-324-2027.
GrantNHPRC SNAP Grant 2008-2009, NAR08-RC-10021-08
Digital IDdmS133
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^