Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Wells County Courthouse, Fessenden, N.D.
Wells County Courthouse, Fessenden, N.D.
TitleWells County Courthouse, Fessenden, N.D.
Date of Original1961-04-30
CreatorBurkum, Lester, 1912-2001
Creator RolePhotographer
DescriptionView of a two storey brick building, the Wells County Courthouse, which was built in 1895 in Fessenden, N.D. There is a small tower in the front, with stairs leading up to a small porch with arches to the main entrance.
General SubjectPolitics & Government
Subject (LCTGM)Buildings
Government facilities
Subject (LCSH)Building, Brick
Organization NameWells County Courthouse (Fessenden, N.D.)
LocationFessenden (N.D.)
Wells County (N.D.)
Item NumberS-128
Format of OriginalSlides
Color images
Dimensions of Original5 x 5 cm.
Transcription"Wells Co. Courthouse built in 1895, Fessenden, N.D., April 30, 1961"--Handwritten on slide.
Biography/HistoryIn the spring of 1895, the county commissioners called a special election for May 7th of that year to vote on the proposition of Wells County issuing bonds for $12,000 for the purpose of building a court house and jail at Fessenden. The canvassing of the votes disclosed that 274 votes were cast in favor of the proposition and 125 against it. The bonds were issued and sold to George R. Fulton & Co., bond brokers, of Grand Forks. The court house plan was drawn by J.W. Ross, a Grand Forks architect. H.B. Chess was given the contract to build, and D. McDonald of Valley City was hired by the county as superintendent of construction. The cost of the court house complete with the jail was approximately $19,000. The court house was completed and the county officers moved in on January 1, 1896. On New Year 's Eve, December 31, 1895, this new court house building was dedicated with a grand ball which was attended by of 100 couples. Special trains from Carrington and Harvey were operated by the Soo Line for the occasion.
Bibliographic ReferenceInformation from the article History of the Court House Building in Spokesfield, Walter E., The History of Wells County and Its Pioneers, 1929.
Repository InstitutionManfred Heritage Museum
Repository CollectionLester Burkum Slide Collection
Credit LineManfred Heritage Museum, Manfred, N.D. (S-128)
Rights ManagementCopyright status unknown.
Ordering InformationManfred Heritage Museum
Visit the Manfred History and Preservation, Inc. website: - go to Guestbook.
Mailing address: Manfred History and Preservation Inc., PO Box 321, Harvey, N.D. 58341
Open May 1- September 30, on Tuesday- Saturday 10am-4pm.
When open, Museum phone number (701) 547-2564.
Manfred project historian, Audrey Solheim, e-mail address,
Winter phone numbers that are published in their newsletter for staff who could open the museum on special request are 701-547-3123, 701-324-2091, and Pam Norstedt at 701-324-2027.
GrantNHPRC SNAP Grant 2008-2009, NAR08-RC-10021-08
Digital IDdmS128
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^