|Title||Fjalla Lutheran Church, built 1894 in Cavalier County, N.D. |
|Date of Original||197-? |
|Creator Role||Photographer |
|Description||Veiw of the front and side of Fjalla Lutheran Church, an Icelandic Church building with three windows on the side, a chimney and a slanted cross on the front wall. There is a monument stone on the front left to the Icelandic pioneers. Other gravestones can be seen in the cemetery in the back left. |
Tombs & sepulchral monuments
|Organization Name||Fjalla Lutheran Church (Cavalier County, N.D.)|
Cavalier County (N.D.)
|Item Number||PCHS5048 |
|Format of Original||Photographic prints|
|Dimensions of Original||13 x 19 cm. |
|Transcription||"Fjalla, built 1894, til - 1967 dissolved" and "Bill Hillier, 06.03.37.1E"--Handwritten on back of photograph. |
"ICELANDIC PIONEERS. TIL MINNING AR UM, ISLENSKU FRUMBYGGJANA, SEM NAMU LONG OG, REISTU BU I BY GGDIANI, A ARUNUM 1880-1890. FJALLA SOFNUDUR VAR, MINDADUR 1886 OG, HJELST VID TIL 1967. KIRKJAN VAR BYGD 1894. DUGNADUR OG ASTUNDUN. STADFOST TRU OG ISLENSK, MENNING ER LEIDARSTAJARNA, AFKOMENDA, LANDNEMANNA, FJAER OG NAER"--Carved on the gravestone in the left of the photograph.
|Notes||Title created by staff. |
|Biography/History||The Fjalla Lutheran Church is located between Mountain, N.D. and Milton, N.D. and was established in 1887. A monument west and north of the church was placed in the cemetery in October 1970. The inscription is in Icelandic on the front and English on the back. It reads: 'Icelandic Pioneers. This monument is dedicated to the Icelandic Pioneers. The first of whom came from their native land to build homes in this community in the early 1880's. The Fjalla Lutheran Congregation was organized in 1886 and the church which has been maintained in its original state. Was built in 1894. The congregation was active until 1967. The diligence, perseverance, and high moral standards of these people have given inspiration to those who followed.' |
The first name given the Fjalla Church was 'Íslandska Luterska Kirkja á Pembina Fjöllonum.' It was also known as 'vestur á fjöllunum' or west on the mountains. The land where the church stands was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Olafur Einarson. The slanted cross symbolizes the carrying of the cross. The earliest settlers came to the Fjalla community in the early 1880s and as soon as any organization was possible they arranged to have religious services in their homes whenever a minister was available. In 1886 a meeting was called for the purpose of organizing a congregation. In the summer of 1967, a farewell service was conducted in the Fjalla Church. The several pastors in attendance and representatives from neighboring congregations paid tribute to the church for the eighty years of service it had given to the community.
|Bibliographic Reference||Information from The Deuce of August, Icelandic Celebration website at: http://www.august2nd.com/html/fjalla.html. |
Some information from a booklet titled Fjalla Lutheran Church, Milton, North Dakota, 1886 - 1967.
|Repository Institution||Pembina County Historical Society|
|Repository Collection||Pembina County Historical Society Photograph Collection|
|Credit Line||Pembina County Historical Society Photograph Collection (PCHS5048) |
|Rights Management||Copyright status unknown. |
Owned by Pembina County Historical Society.
|Ordering Information||Pembina County Historical Society |
Address: 13572 Hwy 5
Cavalier, N.D. 58220
Phone number: 701-265-4941 or 701-265-4691
Email address: email@example.com
|Language||eng; ice; |
|Grant||NHPRC SNAP Grant 2008-2009, NAR08-RC-10021-08 |
|Digital ID||dmPCHS5048 |