Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
First brick schoolhouse, Beulah, N.D.
First brick schoolhouse, Beulah, N.D.
TitleFirst brick schoolhouse, Beulah, N.D.
Date of Original1927
DescriptionAt right, the first brick schoolhouse is visible in this photograph. It is up on a hill and snow covers the ground. The school house has a brick chimney, many windows, and a stairwell on the right side of the building. At left, the Mandan Mercantile Co. is visible with an automobile parked next to it. It is a wooden structure with a brick chimney. Several signs hang on the building reading "Minnesota Paints" and "Mandan Mercantile Co." At center a bare tree is located.
General SubjectCity & Town Life
Education
Subject (LCTGM)Schools
Trees
Snow
Mercantile facilities
Automobiles
Electric lines
Winter
Chimneys
Subject (LCSH)Building, Brick
LocationBeulah (N.D.)
Mercer County (N.D.)
Decade1920-1929
Item NumberMH-43
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original6 x 8 cm.
Transcription"Joyce Herman"
"Taken 1927"--Handwritten on back of photograph.
"PROPERTY OF MERCER COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY"--Stamped on back of photograph.
NotesTitle created by staff.
Photographer unknown.
Biography/History"The officials of the school district realized that they needed more room for their future expansion program. They purchased the entire Block #16 for their new brick school house. They started building in 1919 (this was the first brick building in Beulah), and finished in 1920. At the time it was considered quite elaborate, for it had four classrooms, a small library and an assembly room (that could be partitioned into two classrooms). Now Beulah School could offer a four year high school curriculum. In 1923 the Beulah High School graduated it's first class; Helen Moore (Tuskind) and Lee Perkins. By 1925 this building was filled to overflowing, and they had to use the old frame buildings again."
Bibliographic ReferenceJubilee Book Committee. Beulah, North Dakota Golden ("50 years") Anniversary, 1914-1964. Beulah, N.D.: Beulah Chamber of Commerce, 1964. P. 232.
Repository InstitutionMercer County Historical Society
Credit LineMercer County Historical Society (MH-43)
Rights ManagementCopyright status unknown.
Ordering InformationMercer County Historical Society Attn: Leilani Meyhoff, Secretary 108 7th St. NE P.O. Box 1134 Beulah, N.D. 58523 (701) 873-5070 lkittenn@westriv.com
GrantNHPRC SNAP Grant 2008-2009, NAR08-RC-10021-08
Digital IDdmMH43
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^