Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Military Inspectioon, North Dakota Agricultural College
Military Inspectioon, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleMilitary Inspectioon, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Original1912
CreatorBolley, Henry Luke, 1865-1956
Creator RolePhotographer;
DescriptionMilitary Inspection of the North Dakota Agricultural College Cadet Corps. From left to right: U.S. Inspection Officer, retired Major James A. Ulio, Lieutenant Samuel P. Herron, and President John H. Worst. In the background is Minard Hall and to the back right the Cadet Corps stands at attention.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Military
Subject (LCTGM)Cadets
Military inspections
Buildings
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University. Army ROTC
North Dakota State University - Buildings
Minard Hall (Fargo, N.D.)
North Dakota State University - Grounds
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1910-1919
Item NumberBol.28.5
Format of OriginalFilm negatives
Dimensions of Original9 x 17 cm.
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"From left to right, U.S. Inspection officer, Capt. Ulio. Lt. Herraug, President J.H. Worst/ Students in gray uniform on inspection day."
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryLieutenant Samuel P. Herron, Professor of Military Science, replaced Major Ulio at North Dakota Agricultural College, after Major Ulio's retirement.
Major James A. Ulio, Professor of Military Science and Tactics, at North Dakota Agricultural College from 1903-1911.
John H. Worst was born in a log cabin in Ohio on December 23, 1850. He alternated attending college with teaching in district schools and received an honorary LL.D. degree from Ashland College. He homesteaded in Emmons County, Dakota Territory in 1883. There, he was elected county superintendent of schools for six years. In 1889 he was elected and served two terms as state senator. Worst became lieutenant governor of North Dakota in 1894 and presided over that year's senate session.
In 1895 Worst was appointed president of NDAC. Although Worst was not the first president of NDAC, he is regarded as the "Father of NDAC." A considerable amount of progress was made during Worst's administration. The number of students steadily increased, and the staff increased threefold. Worst was successful in obtaining money from Andrew Carnegie in 1905 for the building of a campus library. Ten new buildings were constructed on campus, as well as gardens and trees. Political reasons are cited for Worst's retirement from NDAC in March of 1916. He was made president emeritus on April 5, 1919 by the Board of Regents. During his tenure as President's he proposed that a memorial grove be planted for all NDAC students who served during the Spanish-American War in 1898. Although the exact date of the planting is not now, a stone marking the grove was placed in 1937. After leaving NDAC, Worst was editor for the New Rockford Daily State Center for one year. From 1919 to 1923 he served as State Commissioner of Immigration and thereafter went into retirement. He was active in politics, as a Republican, and he was editor of the Fairfield County Republican, in Ohio, for two years. He served as president of the Tri-State Grain and Stock Grower's Association, in Fargo, for sixteen years. He was a 33rd degree Mason and was also a member of the Knights of Pythias and the Elks. John Worst passed away on September 25, 1945 in San Marino, California.
Bibliographic ReferencePhotoograph verification - 1913 Agassiz (yearbook).
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionH.L. Bolley Photography Collection
Collection Finding AidConsult: http://hdl.handle.net/10365/4766
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (Bol. 28.5)
Languageeng;
Digital IDbo000096
Original SourcePhotographic Print
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^