Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Winter Scene, North Dakota Agricultural College
Winter Scene, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleWinter Scene, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Originalc.1904-1905
CreatorBolley, Henry Luke, 1865-1956
Creator RolePhotographer;
DescriptionStudents walking to class during the winter on the North Dakota Agricultural College campus. In the background is Francis Hall and to the right is the Mechanic Arts Building.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Snow
Students
Buildings
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University - Buildings
North Dakota State University - Grounds
Mechanic Arts (Fargo, N.D.)
Francis Hall (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1900-1909
Item NumberBol.28.1
Negative NumberNeg. 4x6-27b
Format of OriginalFilm negatives
Dimensions of Original9 x 15 cm.
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"Winter scene in front of mechanical building and Francis Hall."
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryThe Mechanic Arts Building was built in 1893-94 as part of an appropriation from the state of North Dakota. The first floor of the building was arranged to be used for offices, recitation, drawing and laboratory rooms for work in physics, as well as shops for wood work, machine work, and blacksmithing. The second floor of the building contained a large hall which was used as a drill hall by the Military Department. In 1899, just under $4, 000 was appropriated for a small addition to the Mechanic Arts Building. The addition, 24x32 feet, was equipped with anvils, forges, tools, and a steam blower to give instruction in blacksmithing. In 1901 the need was great for a larger forge shop, so the old one was taken down and a new one erected. The new addition, 44x68 feet in size, contained 40 down draft Buffalo forges. In connection with the forge shop, a two-story addition of 40x50 feet was added. The first floor of this addition was used for steam engines and the second floor for a lecture room. Over the years, many additions were built to the Mechanic Arts Building as space was needed. In 1908 the building covered a floor space of 14, 500 sq. ft.; in 1910 the building covered 16, 000 sq. ft.; in 1919 it covered 19, 000 sq. ft.; and by 1928 it covered over 26, 000 sq. ft. As of 1947 the building was slated for demolition, due to its poor condition. However, this did not stop the building from being used. In the 1960s, the Computer Center housed their administrative offices, academic services, and user consultant offices in the building. In 1972 a room on the first floor was condemned because the room's roof caved in at one time. It later became a storage room, and a metal strap [the infamous metal band-aid] served to keep the roof up. In approximately 1975, engineers went through the building and highly recommended no more money be spent on its maintenance. By 1986 the building's second floor was setting, causing the windows to seal improperly In 1990, NDSU's vice president for finance, H.D. Stockman, said "the only thing keeping it (the Mechanic Arts Building) up is the lack of (a new) Computer Center." With the construction of the Industrial Agriculture and Communications Center (IACC), the Mechanic Arts Building was torn down in March 1993. Architectural Information" "Simplified Rectilinear; two stories; yellow brick, jack-arch window lintels, bellcast deeply overhung roof, symmerical facade, recessed entrance facing southwest. Orff and Joralemon, architects." (National Register of Historic Places Inventory, Nomination Form, Summer 1982, p.3)

Francis Hall, the second building built on the NDAC campus, was constructed in 1893. Originally called "The Dormitory, " it was, in 1898, named in honor of O.W. Francis, a former President of the Board of Directors of the College. The North Dakota Legislature of 1893 appropriated $17, 000 for the building of the dormitory. The building was described as a "well arranged, roomy and attractive building, having twenty-eight sleeping and study rooms en suite for fifty-six students, a large dining room with a seating capacity for seventy, fine reception and working rooms for the department of domestic economy, closets, bathrooms, etc., all heated by steam and lighted by electricity." (Second Biennial Report of the North Dakota Agricultural College to the Governor of North Dakota, 1893-94, p. 6). Increased enrollment made it necessary to convert Francis Hall into classrooms and laboratories in 1899. The new space was used to house the laboratories in Horticulture, Veterinary Science, Agriculture, and Household Economics. A large agricultural and miscellaneous museum was also added, in addition to lecture rooms for farm mechanics, offices, recitation rooms, sewing rooms, and a seed room. In 1924 the building contained the offices of the North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station and Extension division. (NDAC Catalog, 1924-25, p. 40). In 1931 the School of Pharmacy moved into Francis Hall, taking all of the first floor and half of the second. In 1959 the North Dakota Legislature appropriated $76, 000 for remodeling Francis, however, President Fred S. Hultz pointed out problems of continued use of the hall. Francis had been inspected and its insurance value lowered to $6, 000. This action convinced President Hultz that Francis should no longer be used, and should be demolished. As a result the legislature in 1961 appropriated $9, 000 for its demolition.
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionH.L. Bolley Photography Collection
Collection Finding AidConsult: http://hdl.handle.net/10365/4766
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (Bol.28.1)
Languageeng;
Digital IDbo000092
Original SourceNegative
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^