Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan up Pan down Pan right Pan left Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Ceres Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
Ceres Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleCeres Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Originalc.1910
CreatorBolley, Henry Luke, 1865-1956
Creator RolePhotographer;
DescriptionFront view of Ceres Hall, women's residence. In the foreground are the tennis courts and two coeds in dresses seem to be playing a game. The sing to the left says "For Members Only."
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Dormitories
Tennis courts
Tennis players
Subject (LCSH)Women - Sports
Women college students
Tennis – singles
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University - Buildings
North Dakota State University - Sports & recreation
Ceres Hall (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1900-1909
Item NumberBol.26.1
Negative NumberNeg. 4x6-25a
Format of OriginalFilm negatives
Dimensions of Original8 x 14 cm.
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"Front view of Ceres Hall and tennis courts that never were properly prepared for tennis. Notice the costume."
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryIn 1909 the North Dakota State Legislature approved the construction of a women's building on campus, allocating over $85, 000 for the building. The name of the building, Ceres Hall, is named for the Goddess of Agriculture. The building housed rooms for 115 residents, parlors, laundries, kitchens, classes and office for the School of Home Economics, a gymnasium on the top floor, and a 250 seat cafeteria.
Plans were finalized in the early 1970s for converting Ceres Hall into all offices. At this point the residents were all male and plans called for moving them to other residence halls. The students protested and the issue eventually went to the State Board of Higher Education. Although part of the building was retained as a men's residence through the 1971-72 academic year, after that time it was converted into offices. This was not the end of Ceres life as a residence hall. In 1976, due to overflow housing, the third floor of Ceres Hall was converted back from offices to dorm rooms for 33 coeds. Ceres Hall was listed as a residence as late as 1990. Today Ceres houses various student life offices.
Architectural Information: "Classical Revival, three stories and full story attic. Yellow brick with sandstone trim, jack-arch lintels and keystones over second story windows; sandstone sills and belt courses; symmetrical facade with two off-center projecting four story tower/entrances. Romanic Ionic capitals atop engaged pilasters on south and west facades. Hancock Brothers, architects." (National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form, Summer 1982, p. 4)
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionH.L. Bolley Photography Collection
Collection Finding AidConsult: http://hdl.handle.net/10365/4766
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (Bol.26.1)
Languageeng;
Digital IDbo000084
Original SourceNegative
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^