Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Chemistry Building with Greenhouse, North Dakota Agricultural College
Chemistry Building with Greenhouse, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleChemistry Building with Greenhouse, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Original1908
CreatorBolley, Henry Luke, 1865-1956
Creator RolePhotographer;
DescriptionChemistry building looking to the northeast. An attached greenhouse is visible in the photograph, as is a metal tower on top of the building used for meteorological experiments.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Buildings
Greenhouses
Towers
Lawns
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University - Buildings
North Dakota State University - Greenhouses
North Dakota State University - Grounds
Chemistry Building (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1900-1909
Item NumberBol.27.5
Negative NumberNeg. 4x6-26c
Format of OriginalFilm negatives
Dimensions of Original15 x 9 cm.
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"Chem Bld"
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryIn 1905 the State Legislature appropriated $50, 000 for the erection of a chemical laboratory. When completed the building's main part was a three-story structure measuring 76 feet by 50 feet and had two wings extending back that were two-stories in height and that measured 50 feet by 30 feet. A special greenhouse was also connected to the laboratory for conducting research work. The total cost of the new chemical laboratory was $48, 500. In the fall of 1909, an addition was begun on the Chemical Building, with the intent of creating a new laboratory for up to sixty students and relieve the tight confines of many of the classrooms. The addition was never completed. On December 24, 1909 an explosion and resulting fire gutted and destroyed all of the building except the west wall. The loss was in excess of $85, 000 and the insurance on the building and supplies was for $40, 000.
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionH.L. Bolley Photography Collection
Collection Finding AidConsult: http://hdl.handle.net/10365/4766
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (Bol.27.5)
Languageeng;
Digital IDbo000090
Original SourceNegative
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^