Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Francis Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
Francis Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleFrancis Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Original1908
CreatorBolley, Henry Luke, 1865-1956
Creator RolePhotographer;
DescriptionDistance shot of Francis Hall, looking to the northwest.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Buildings
Trees
Lawns
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University - Buildings
North Dakota State University - Grounds
Francis Hall (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1900-1909
Item NumberBol.30.1
Negative NumberNeg. 4x6-34b
Format of OriginalFilm negatives
Dimensions of Original9 x 15 cm.
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
TranscriptionN.D.A.C. Francis Hall, 1908.
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryFrancis Hall, the second building built on the NDAC campus, was constructed in 1893. Originally called "The Dormitory, " it was in 1898, named in honor of O.W. Francis, a former President of the Board of Directors of the College. The original size of the building was 47x130 feet. Increased enrollment made it necessary to convert Francis Hall into classrooms and laboratories in 1899. The new space was used to house the laboratories in Horticulture, Veterinary Science, Agriculture, and Household Economics. A large agricultural and miscellaneous museum was also added, in addition to lecture rooms for farm mechanics, offices, recitation rooms, sewing rooms, and a seed room.
In 1924 the building contained the offices of the North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station and Extension division. In 1931, $7, 500 was appropriated for the remodeling of Francis Hall and the School of Pharmacy moved into Francis Hall, taking all of the first floor and half of the second (The Spectrum, Oct. 2, 1931, p. 1, 4). The building continued in use by the College of Pharmacy until 1961, when Pharmacy moved into Sudro Hall.
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionH.L. Bolley Photography Collection
Collection Finding AidConsult: http://hdl.handle.net/10365/4766
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (Bol.30.1)
Languageeng;
Digital IDbo000109
Original SourceNegative
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^