Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
South Engineering and Minard Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
South Engineering and Minard Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleSouth Engineering and Minard Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Originalbetween 1911-1912
CreatorBolley, Henry Luke, 1865-1956
Creator RolePhotographer;
DescriptionView of campus lookig toward the west. The western cornier of Old Main isvisilbe, then South Engineering and Minard Hall. A young child, identified as Don Bolley, is standing in the fild in front of Old Main.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Buildings
Children
Meadows
Trees
Personal NameBolley, Donald
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University - Buildings
North Dakota State University - Grounds
Old Main (Fargo, N.D.)
South Engineering (Fargo, N.D.)
Minard Hall (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1910-1919
Item NumberBol.31.17
Negative NumberNeg. 4x6-38a
Format of OriginalFilm negatives
Dimensions of Original8 x 14 cm.
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"Don Bolley on campus in front of engineering building and Science Hall."
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryEarly in 1907, $65, 000 was appropriated for the construction of an engineering building [South Engineering]. When completed, the structure was a three-story building measuring 80 feet by 90 feet. It contained lecture rooms, laboratories and classrooms for work in subjects ranging from Mechanical Engineering to Freehand Drawing to blue printing to photography. Architectural Information: "Classical Revival, three stories; light brown pressed brick with trim of rough brown sandstone; Palladian window treatment with projecting central entrance pavilion; gable hipped roof with pedimented gables and dormers; rusticated raised basement; dentilled and bracketted cornices; brownstone Tuscan columns flaking [sic] front south facing entry; rusticated corner pilasters with sandstone capitals. Milton Earl Beebe, architect." (National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form, Summer 1982, p. 3)
Minard Hall, originally named Science Hall, was to be built in three stages as building funds became available. It was noted in the 1902-03 NDAC Catalog that this first section cost about $25, 000. "This new building is 68x80 feet in size of ground plan, three stories high and furnishes commodious quarters for the departments of biology, geology, horticulture and mathematics. The entire building is finished with quarter-sawed oak, is well lighted and ventilated and is one of the most artistic buildings on campus. Science Hall, when completed, will be 80 feet deep and 224 feet long and its central structure four stories high" (NDAC Catalog, 1902-03, p. 13).
Architectural information: "Classical Revival. Originally planned to be built in three stages as building funds became available, the south wing was erected in 1901 from plans by William C. Albrant, Fargo. It is two stories above a raised basement, yellow brick American bond, with sandstone trim, red grout, red brick pilasters and beltcourses; and semi-circular bays at the center of each facade." (National Register of Historic Places Inventory, Nomination Form, Summer 1982, pp. 3-4)
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionH.L. Bolley Photography Collection
Collection Finding AidConsult: http://hdl.handle.net/10365/4766
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (Bol. 31.17)
Languageeng;
Digital IDbo000122
Original SourceNegative
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^