Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Sidewalk leading to Putnam Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
Sidewalk leading to Putnam Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleSidewalk leading to Putnam Hall, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Original1908-07
CreatorBolley, Henry Luke, 1865-1956
Creator RolePhotographer;
DescriptionView of the sidewalk leading up to Putnam Hall, looking to the southeast. A fountain is visible to the left and a bicycle rack is near the front steps to the building.
Ordering InformationConsult:
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Libraries
Subject (LCSH)Carnegie libraries
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University - Buildings
North Dakota State University - Grounds
Putnam Hall (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Item NumberBol.34.2
Negative NumberNeg. 4x6-42a
Format of OriginalFilm negatives
Dimensions of Original9 x 15 cm.
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"Views of front lawn of Carnegie library and flower garden, July 1908."
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryPutnam Hall (Carnegie Library) had its beginnings in 1903 when B. F. Spalding, Representative at Large for North Dakota, wrote to Andrew Carnegie requesting $35, 000 to $40, 000 to build a library and chapel for the North Dakota Agricultural College (NDAC). This was not accepted, so in 1904, NDAC President Worst contacted James Bertram, Carnegie's private secretary In 1905 NDAC received a grant of $15, 000 on the condition that at least $1, 500 was spent on purchasing books and the upkeep of the library each year. The construction proceeded as planned until November 1905 when President Worst wrote to Carnegie asking for an additional $3, 400 to complete the library, especially the basement since the current funds had run out. The cornerstone for the library was laid on June 7, 1905 and the NDAC Carnegie Library was officially dedicated on January 18, 1906. The total cost of the library was $23, 000--eight thousand dollars over the projected cost. As the enrollment at NDAC increased, the Carnegie Library quickly became packed with students and the additional books and journals needed to meet the growing College's needs. A new library was built in 1949 and dedicated in 1950. The Carnegie Library then became home to the Music Department. In 1952, the Carnegie Library was rededicated Putnam Hall in honor of C. S. "Doc" Putnam, a former medical doctor who became the College's first band director. Today, Putnam Hall houses temporary offices. Architectural Information: "Classical Revival, built on a Greek Cross plan, one story above raised basement of yellow brick, brick corner quoining, and sandstone trim. Windows on sides and rear have jack-arched lintels and keystones. Roof is surmounted by a small cupola; north facing entry uses sandstone Tuscum column di-style in antis. Metal cornice is heavily dentilled around pedimented gables. William C. Albrant, architect." (National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form, Summer 1982, p. 4)
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionH.L. Bolley Photography Collection
Collection Finding AidConsult:
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (Bol.34.2)
Digital IDbo000141
Original SourceNegative
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^