Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  

add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan down Pan up Pan left Pan right Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Campus Scene, Winter, North Dakota Agricultural College
Campus Scene, Winter, North Dakota Agricultural College
TitleCampus Scene, Winter, North Dakota Agricultural College
Date of Original1905-11-25
CreatorBolley, Henry Luke, 1865-1956
Creator RolePhotographer;
DescriptionOn a wintery day, the Chemistry Building, Old Main, and Putnam Hall, looking to the northeast.
Ordering InformationConsult: http://library.ndsu.edu/ndsuarchives/duplication-services
General SubjectColleges & Universities
Subject (LCTGM)Buildings
Snow
Trees
Winter
Subject (LCSH)Carnegie libraries
Organization NameNorth Dakota State University - Buildings
North Dakota State University - Grounds
Chemistry Building (Fargo, N.D.)
Old Main (Fargo, N.D.)
Putnam Hall (Fargo, N.D.)
LocationFargo (N.D.)
Cass County (N.D.)
North Dakota
United States
Decade1900-1909
Item NumberBol.32.7
Negative NumberNeg. 4x6-38c
Format of OriginalFilm negatives
Dimensions of Original9 x 14 cm.
Place of PublicationFargo (N.D.)
Transcription"Winter scene; main building, original chemical building and library. Nov 25, 1905."
NotesTitle supplied by staff.
Biography/HistoryIn 1905 the State Legislature appropriated $50, 000 for the erection of a chemical laboratory. When completed the building's main part was a three-story structure measuring 76 feet by 50 feet and had two wings extending back that were two-stories in height and that measured 50 feet by 30 feet. A special greenhouse was also connected to the laboratory for conducting research work. The total cost of the new chemical laboratory was $48, 500. In the fall of 1909, an addition was begun on the Chemical Building, with the intent of creating a new laboratory for up to sixty students to relieve the tight confines of many of the classrooms. The addition was never completed. On December 24, 1909 an explosion and resulting fire gutted and destroyed all of the building except the west wall. The loss was in excess of $85, 000 and the insurance on the building and supplies was for $40, 000. The first permanent building on the North Dakota Agricultural College (NDAC) campus was College Hall, also called the Administration Building, but more commonly known as Old Main. In February 1891, the North Dakota State Legislature appropriated $25, 000 to erect the structure. Construction of the lower levels were completed by the end of 1891 and on January 3, 1892, the institution opened its regular work in its permanent home, and enrolled 123 students for the term. The lower floor of the building was utilized by the chemical department, as well as containing recitation and work rooms of the biological department, and storage and toilet rooms. The main floor contained the general offices of the college and the experiment station, library and reading room, fireproof vaults, and laboratories and offices of the botanical and veterinary departments. The entire first and second floors were finished in quartered oak. The second floor contained a large auditorium capable of seating 200 people, and the recitation, apparatus and laboratory rooms of the mathematical and physical departments. The third floor was unfinished, but it was put to use as a gymnasium; with boxing, wrestling, and "tug-of-war" as popular forms of exercise, where students and faculty met in many friendly contests. Today, Old Main still houses the President's office in the tower room, as well as the Office of the VP for Academic Affairs, the VP for Business and Finances, the VP for Student Affairs, the Graduate School and numerous other administrative offices. If you get the chance to lift the ceiling tiles in one section of the Graduate School, the facade of the front of the old Little Country Theatre is still there, probably as it was on the day of its last performance. Architectural Information:"Richardson Romanesque; 2 1/2 stories with raised basement; buff brick with base and trim of Duluth brownstone; clock tower/turret at the southeast corner; recessed triple-arched main entrance arcade facing south. Hancock Brothers, architects." (National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form, Summer 1982, p.3) Putnam Hall (Carnegie Library) had its beginnings in 1903 when B. F. Spalding, Representative at Large for North Dakota, wrote to Andrew Carnegie requesting $35, 000 to $40, 000 to build a library and chapel for the North Dakota Agricultural College (NDAC). This was not accepted, so in 1904, NDAC President Worst contacted James Bertram, Carnegie's private secretary In 1905 NDAC received a grant of $15, 000 on the condition that at least $1, 500 was spent on purchasing books and the upkeep of the library each year. The construction proceeded as planned until November 1905 when President Worst wrote to Carnegie asking for an additional $3, 400 to complete the library, especially the basement since the current funds had run out. The cornerstone for the library was laid on June 7, 1905 and the NDAC Carnegie Library was officially dedicated on January 18, 1906. The total cost of the library was $23, 000--eight thousand dollars over the projected cost. As the enrollment at NDAC increased, the Carnegie Library quickly became packed with students and the additional books and journals needed to meet the growing College's needs. A new library was built in 1949 and dedicated in 1950. The Carnegie Library then became home to the Music Department. In 1952, the Carnegie Library was rededicated Putnam Hall in honor of C. S. "Doc" Putnam, a former medical doctor who became the College's first band director. Today, Putnam Hall houses temporary offices. Architectural Information: "Classical Revival, built on a Greek Cross plan, one story above raised basement of yellow brick, brick corner quoining, and sandstone trim. Windows on sides and rear have jack-arched lintels and keystones. Roof is surmounted by a small cupola; north facing entry uses sandstone Tuscum column di-style in antis. Metal cornice is heavily dentilled around pedimented gables. William C. Albrant, architect." (National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form, Summer 1982, p. 4)
Repository InstitutionNorth Dakota State University Libraries, University Archives
Repository CollectionH.L. Bolley Photography Collection
Collection Finding AidConsult: http://hdl.handle.net/10365/4766
Credit LineUniversity Archives, NDSU, Fargo (Bol.32.7)
Languageeng;
Digital IDbo000131
Original SourceNegative
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^