Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan up Pan down Pan right Pan left Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Upper Missouri Valley Fairgrounds aerial photograph, Williston, N.D.
Upper Missouri Valley Fairgrounds aerial photograph, Williston, N.D.
TitleUpper Missouri Valley Fairgrounds aerial photograph, Williston, N.D.
Date of Original1984?
CreatorShemorry, Bill, 1914-2004
Creator RolePhotographer
DescriptionAlmost since its founding days, the ranching and farming oriented residents of Williston have had a fair in mind... a place to display the bountiful products of western North Dakota and a means of showing those who live on the soil that the people in the town appreciate them.
First (around 1900) came the Williams County Fair, followed by the Williston Industrial Fair and then the idea died for a while. In the late thirties a Williston Farm Festival took hold and this graduated into today's Upper Missouri Valley Fair. The UMVF was incorporated 30 years ago although the first fair was not actually held until August 31, September 1 and 2, 1961. Since that time as the accompanying photo shows, it has grown into a full-fledged operation with its own grounds, adjoining Sprint Lake Park and the Williston Country Club, just a few miles north of Williston.
General SubjectAerials
Subject (LCTGM)Aerial photographs
Fairs
Exhibitions
Exhibition buildings
Racetracks
Automobiles
Tents
Buildings
LocationWilliston (N.D.)
Decade1980-1989
Item Number1-16-49-5
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original4 x 6 in.
Publisher of OriginalShemorry, William E. (Bill)
Place of PublicationWilliston, N.D.
NotesTitle created by staff.
Biography/HistoryWilliam E. "Bill" Shemorry was a native of Williston, N.D. who began work in the newspaper industry as a newsboy selling the Williston Herald and the Williams County Farmers Press. In 1953, he started to publish the Williston Plains Reporter, which he operated for 25 years before selling to the Williston Herald. Shemorry then began to concentrate on his own writing and photography. In addition to writing many books on the history of Williams County, he also collected photographs of early North Dakota photographers. Shemorry was an active member of the Williston Fire Department, was Civil Defense Chief of Williams County for three years in the 1950's, and was a combat photographer in World War II. Shemorry's photograph of the discovery of oil in North Dakota on April 4, 1951 at the Clarence Iverson No. 1 is one of the most famous oil photographs ever taken, and was published in many national publications.
Bibliographic ReferenceDescription from Shemorry's cutline, box 16, folder 49.
Description also from Shemorry's caption in Photo 100: Nostalgic Highlights of a Century, page 96.
Repository InstitutionState Historical Society of North Dakota
Repository CollectionWilliam E. (Bill) Shemorry Photograph Collection Mss 10958
Credit LineState Historical Society of North Dakota, William E. (Bill) Shemorry Photograph Collection (1-16-49-5)
Rights ManagementPermission to reproduce this image must be requested from the State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Ordering InformationTo order a reproduction, inquire about the collection, or provide information about an image, please email Emily E. Schultz at eschultz@nd.gov
Digital IDws116495
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^