Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Congregational Church Junior Choir, Williston, N.D.
Congregational Church Junior Choir, Williston, N.D.
TitleCongregational Church Junior Choir, Williston, N.D.
Date of Original1956-12
CreatorShemorry, Bill, 1914-2004
Creator RolePhotographer
DescriptionThe U.C.C. Junior Choir of 1956 is pictured as it sang during Christmas services. In the front row, left to right, are Susan Alfson, Alice Heat, Jan Shemorry, Nancy Johnson and Debbie Palmer. in the second row are Gay Shemorry, Cathie Snyder and Peggy Shubert. Third row: Tom Snyder, Judy Christianson, Toni Webster, Peter Bergman, Tom McBride, and Wynn Privratsky. Back row: Danie Prince, Jackie Daniels, Alberta Reep, Mary MacMaster, Mrs. J.C. Snyder, director, and David Buckley.
General SubjectPeople
Subject (LCTGM)Choirs (Music)
Singers
Churches
Holidays
Girls
Boys
Women
Personal NameBuckley, David
MacMaster, Mary
Reep, Alberta
Daniels, Jackie
Prince, Danie
Privratsky, Wynn
McBride, Tom
Bergman, Peter
Webster, Toni
Shemorry, Gay
Alfson, Susan
Heat, Alice
Shemorry, Jan
Johnson, Nancy
Palmer, Debbie
Organization NameFirst Union Church (Williston, N.D.)
LocationWilliston (N.D.)
Decade1950-1959
Item Number1-21-5-11
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original5 x 8 in.
Publisher of OriginalShemorry, William E. (Bill)
Place of PublicationWilliston, N.D.
NotesTitle created by staff.
Biography/HistoryWilliam E. "Bill" Shemorry was a native of Williston, N.D. who began work in the newspaper industry as a newsboy selling the Williston Herald and the Williams County Farmers Press. In 1953, he started to publish the Williston Plains Reporter, which he operated for 25 years before selling to the Williston Herald. Shemorry then began to concentrate on his own writing and photography. In addition to writing many books on the history of Williams County, he also collected photographs of early North Dakota photographers. Shemorry was an active member of the Williston Fire Department, was Civil Defense Chief of Williams County for three years in the 1950's, and was a combat photographer in World War II. Shemorry's photograph of the discovery of oil in North Dakota on April 4, 1951 at the Clarence Iverson No. 1 is one of the most famous oil photographs ever taken, and was published in many national publications.
Bibliographic ReferenceThis photograph appeared in A Force for Good: A Centennial History of the First Union Church, 1889-1989. The description was derived from Shemorry's caption on page 67.
Repository InstitutionState Historical Society of North Dakota
Repository CollectionWilliam E. (Bill) Shemorry Photograph Collection Mss 10958
Credit LineState Historical Society of North Dakota, William E. (Bill) Shemorry Photograph Collection (1-21-5-11)
Rights ManagementPermission to reproduce this image must be requested from the State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Ordering InformationTo order a reproduction, inquire about the collection, or provide information about an image, please email Emily E. Schultz at eschultz@nd.gov
Digital IDws121511
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^