Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan up Pan down Pan right Pan left Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Congregational Church Junior Choir, Williston, N.D.
Congregational Church Junior Choir, Williston, N.D.
TitleCongregational Church Junior Choir, Williston, N.D.
Date of Original1961-12
CreatorShemorry, Bill, 1914-2004
Creator RolePhotographer
DescriptionIn 1961 the U.C.C. Junior Choir had its picture taken by the Williston Plains Reporter as its members practiced their Christmas songs. Those on the photo were identified, but not from left to right. Their names follow alphabetically. The members who have been identified are numbered as to their position in the photo with the front row left to right 1-11 and the back row 12-23. The un-numbered names are members who could not be identified as to whre they are in the photo, but if you know them, perhaps you can tell.
Paggy Alfson 3, John Bergman, Pamela Bergman, Brenda Blazer, Karen Bolinski, Joan Bolinski 7, Robert Box, Robyn Box, Patty Dodds, Connie Erickson 10, Charlie Gaunce 18, Nicky Haugen 14, JoAnn Jorgenson, Rev. Cecil Leek 17, Mrs. Leek 15, Trudi Onstad 8, Tom Pedersen, David Robb 16, Mrs. J. C. Snyder, director 19, Cynthia Undem, Bill Walters 22, Robin Wick and Steve Williams. Not pictured were Dean Saylor and Mrs. Jackson Dodds, choir mother.
General SubjectPeople
Subject (LCTGM)Choirs (Music)
Singers
Churches
Holidays
Personal NameSaylor, Dean
Williams, Steve
Wick, Robin
Walters, Bill
Undem, Cynthia
Robb, David
Pedersen, Tom
Onstad, Trudi
Organization NameFirst Union Church (Williston, N.D.)
LocationWilliston (N.D.)
Decade1960-1969
Item Number1-21-5-12
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original5 x 7 in.
Publisher of OriginalShemorry, William E. (Bill)
Place of PublicationWilliston, N.D.
Transcription"1961 Choir 100% crop top & bottom goes at bottom of page page 67"--Handwritten on back of print
NotesTitle created by staff.
Biography/HistoryWilliam E. "Bill" Shemorry was a native of Williston, N.D. who began work in the newspaper industry as a newsboy selling the Williston Herald and the Williams County Farmers Press. In 1953, he started to publish the Williston Plains Reporter, which he operated for 25 years before selling to the Williston Herald. Shemorry then began to concentrate on his own writing and photography. In addition to writing many books on the history of Williams County, he also collected photographs of early North Dakota photographers. Shemorry was an active member of the Williston Fire Department, was Civil Defense Chief of Williams County for three years in the 1950's, and was a combat photographer in World War II. Shemorry's photograph of the discovery of oil in North Dakota on April 4, 1951 at the Clarence Iverson No. 1 is one of the most famous oil photographs ever taken, and was published in many national publications.
Bibliographic ReferenceThis photograph appeared in A Force for Good: A Centennial History of the First Union Church, 1889-1989. The description was derived from Shemorry's caption on page 67.
Repository InstitutionState Historical Society of North Dakota
Repository CollectionWilliam E. (Bill) Shemorry Photograph Collection Mss 10958
Credit LineState Historical Society of North Dakota, William E. (Bill) Shemorry Photograph Collection (1-21-5-12)
Rights ManagementPermission to reproduce this image must be requested from the State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Ordering InformationTo order a reproduction, inquire about the collection, or provide information about an image, please email Emily E. Schultz at eschultz@nd.gov
Digital IDws121512
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^