Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Quartet, Williston, N.D.
Quartet, Williston, N.D.
TitleQuartet, Williston, N.D.
Date of Original195-
CreatorShemorry, Bill, 1914-2004
Creator RolePhotographer
DescriptionSacred music is sung by this earnest quintet which performed many times during the Christmas season and on other occasions during the mid-1950s. Left to right are Cathy Snyder, Tom Snyder, Nancy Johnson, Douglas Rankin and Debbie Palmer. The group is probably from or in Rickard Elementary School.
General SubjectPeople
Subject (LCTGM)Singing
Christmas carols
Choirs (Music)
Personal NamePalmer, Debbie
Rankin, Douglas
Johnson, Nancy
Snyder, Tom
Snyder, Cathy
Organization NameRickard Elementary School (Williston, N.D.)
LocationWilliston (N.D.)
Item Number1-21-5-15
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original5 x 7 in.
Publisher of OriginalShemorry, William E. (Bill)
Place of PublicationWilliston, N.D.
Transcription"Page 72 100% quintet singing Christmas music"--Handwritten on back of print
NotesTitle created by staff.
Biography/HistoryWilliam E. "Bill" Shemorry was a native of Williston, N.D. who began work in the newspaper industry as a newsboy selling the Williston Herald and the Williams County Farmers Press. In 1953, he started to publish the Williston Plains Reporter, which he operated for 25 years before selling to the Williston Herald. Shemorry then began to concentrate on his own writing and photography. In addition to writing many books on the history of Williams County, he also collected photographs of early North Dakota photographers. Shemorry was an active member of the Williston Fire Department, was Civil Defense Chief of Williams County for three years in the 1950's, and was a combat photographer in World War II. Shemorry's photograph of the discovery of oil in North Dakota on April 4, 1951 at the Clarence Iverson No. 1 is one of the most famous oil photographs ever taken, and was published in many national publications.
Bibliographic ReferenceThis photograph appeared in A Force for Good: A Centennial History of the First Union Church, 1889-1989. The description was derived from Shemorry's caption on page 72.
Repository InstitutionState Historical Society of North Dakota
Repository CollectionWilliam E. (Bill) Shemorry Photograph Collection Mss 10958
Credit LineState Historical Society of North Dakota, William E. (Bill) Shemorry Photograph Collection (1-21-5-15)
Rights ManagementPermission to reproduce this image must be requested from the State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Ordering InformationTo order a reproduction, inquire about the collection, or provide information about an image, please email Emily E. Schultz at
Digital IDws121515
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^