Williston Philharmonic Orchestra
|Title||Williston Philharmonic Orchestra |
|Date of Original||1923 |
|Description||The Williston Philharmonic Orchestra sits on stage with their instruments. The conductor stands in the center with a piano behind him. The man standing in the back is holding a string bass, and percussion and cello players are also in the back. On the right sit clarinet, saxophone, trumpet and trombone players. On the left sit violin, viola and a flute player. A painted backdrop of a mountain scene hangs behind the orchestra on stage. |
|General Subject||Sports & recreation|
Bands, clubs & societies
|Personal Name||Olesen, Louis H.|
Gray, R. J.
Snyder, Mrs. John
Pasonault, Joseph Ernest, 1875-1945
Black, W. E.
Beisel, Mrs. J. A.
Snyder, John C.
Bell, Oscar W.
Buss, O. F.
Arsenault, A. J.
Bell, Mrs. Oscar
Cormany, W. F.
|Organization Name||Williston Philharmonic Orchestra (Williston, N.D.)|
|Item Number||1-73-7-26 |
|Format of Original||Photographic prints|
|Dimensions of Original||14 x 23 cm. |
|Transcription||"Page 49 Philharmonic Orchestra 100%, Return to Shemorry" -- Handwritten on note on back of photograph. |
|Notes||Photographer unknown. |
|Biography/History||William E. "Bill" Shemorry was a native of Williston, N.D. who began work in the newspaper industry as a newsboy selling the Williston Herald and the Williams County Farmers Press. In 1953, he started to publish the Williston Plains Reporter, which he operated for 25 years before selling to the Williston Herald. Shemorry then began to concentrate on his own writing and photography. In addition to writing many books on the history of Williams County, he also collected photographs of early North Dakota photographers. Shemorry was an active member of the Williston Fire Department, was Civil Defense Chief of Williams County for three years in the 1950s, and was a combat photographer in World War II. Shemorry's photograph of the discovery of oil in North Dakota on April 4, 1951 at the Clarence Iverson No. 1 is one of the most famous oil photographs ever taken, and was published in many national publications. |
"During the early 1920's Williston had a full-fledged symphony orchestra which played concerts in the New Grand Theatre Sunday afternoons during the spring months. Its organizers included Louis H. Olesen, the conductor, and R. J. Gray, who played the first chair in the violin section and was also concertmaster. Mrs. John Snyder was soloist. Instrumentalists were: Violins, J. E. Pasonault, Rodney Wells, Emil Lee, W. E. Black, Mrs. J. A. Beisel, Nick Held, Walter Nelson; clarinets, Boyde Cormany, George Mockel, flute, Carol Kemper; cornets, Pauol Marelius, Paul McGibbon; horns, Knute Westdal, Harold Keyes; alto saxophones, JOhn C. Snyder, Vaughn Kelly; bariton saxophone, E. Rickard; bassoon, Oscar W. Bell; trombones, Wm. Crow, O.F. Buss; basses, A. J. Arsenault, Leo Gillette; piano, Mrs. Oscar Bell; Marimbaphone-chimes, Dale Frank; drums, H. Suckstorff, W.F. Cormany; bells, Don Butler."
|Bibliographic Reference||Information on the Williston Philharmonic Orchestra derived from Shemorry's book: Photo 100: Nostalgic Highlights of a Century, p. 49. |
|Repository Institution||State Historical Society of North Dakota|
|Repository Collection||William E. (Bill) Shemorry Photograph Collection Mss 10958|
|Credit Line||State Historical Society of North Dakota, William E. (Bill) Shemorry Photograph Collection (1-73-7-26) |
|Rights Management||Permission to reproduce this image must be requested from the State Historical Society of North Dakota. |
|Ordering Information||To order a reproduction, inquire about the collection, or provide information about an image, please email Emily E. Schultz at email@example.com |
|Digital ID||ws173 |