Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help  login  
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Statue once at Fort Buford, N.D.
Statue once at Fort Buford, N.D.
TitleStatue once at Fort Buford, N.D.
Date of Original1980?
CreatorShemorry, Bill, 1914-2004
Creator RolePhotographer;
DescriptionView of a statue of a Native American man's face with a feather in his hair.
General SubjectHistoric sites
Indians of North America
Subject (LCTGM)Historic sites
Sculpture
Feathers
Subject (LCSH)Indians of North America - Arts & crafts
Indians of North America - Commemoration
Indians of North America - Government relations
Indians of North America - History
Indians of North America - Men
Indians of North America - Physical characteristics
Indians of ND - Art
LocationFort Buford (N.D.)
Fort Buford State Historic Site (N.D.)
Fort Buford (Fort Buford, N.D.)
Decade1970-1979
1980-1989
Item Number1-170-131
Format of OriginalPhotographic prints
Dimensions of Original13 x 9 cm.
Transcription"Fort Buford" - Handwritten on card with photographs.
NotesTitle created by staff.
Biography/HistoryWilliam E. "Bill" Shemorry was a native of Williston, N.D. who began work in the newspaper industry as a newsboy selling the Williston Herald and the Williams County Farmers Press. In 1953, he started to publish the Williston Plains Reporter, which he operated for 25 years before selling to the Williston Herald. Shemorry then began to concentrate on his own writing and photography. In addition to writing many books on the history of Williams County, he also collected photographs of early North Dakota photographers. Shemorry was an active member of the Williston Fire Department, was Civil Defense Chief of Williams County for three years in the 1950's, and was a combat photographer in World War II. Shemorry's photograph of the discovery of oil in North Dakota on April 4, 1951 at the Clarence Iverson No. 1 is one of the most famous oil photographs ever taken, and was published in many national publications.

Fort Buford State Historic Site preserves remnants of a vital frontier plains military post. Fort Buford was built in 1866 near the confluence of the Missouri and Yellowstone rivers, and became a major supply depot for military field operations, it was disbanded in 1895. Original features still existing on the site include a stone powder magazine, the post cemetery site, and a large officers' quarters building which now houses a museum.
Fort Buford, located near present-day Williston, was one of a number of military posts established to protect overland and river routes used by immigrants settling the West. While it served an essential role as the sentinel on the northern plains for twenty-nine years, it is probably best remembered as the place where the famous Hunkpapa Sioux leader, Sitting Bull, surrendered in 1881.
information from http://history.nd.gov/historicsites/buford/index.html
Repository InstitutionState Historical Society of North Dakota
Repository CollectionWilliam E. (Bill) Shemorry Photograph Collection Mss 10958
Credit LineState Historical Society of North Dakota, William E. (Bill) Shemorry Photograph Collection (1-170-131)
Rights ManagementPermission to reproduce this image must be requested from the State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Ordering InformationTo order a reproduction, inquire about the collection, or provide information about an image, please email Emily E. Schultz at eschultz@nd.gov
Digital IDws1170131
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^